Backup Lenses

unohuu

I am trading systems - moving from Minolta to Nikon. I have ordered the lenses

I want as primary 20-35mm f/2.8; 35-70mm f/2.8; and 80-200mm f/2.8. I have a

70-210mm f/4-5.6 and a Sigma 28-80 that came with the used F4s I purchased.

Question coming - would you part company with these or keep them for backup for

weddings, event, studio work? How many back up lenses do you have?

Studio less important as I have complete manual focus Minolta and Mamiya 645

system.

If it were me, I'd go with 2-3 fast primes, maybe a 35mm and an 85mm. You can keep those Sigmas if you want to because I don't think you're going to get much for them. An advantage of the fast primes as back up is, you can use them for low light work as well, such as during the ceremony with no flash. I have three back up lenses myself.

Thanks for the quick responses. I have the 50mm and I am searching for an 85mm and have a line on both the 105 f/2.5 and a Vivitar Series 1 135 f/2.3 that I like. As an aside, how did you get your home area listed after your name? That would be great! Luke

Lucius - And anyone else who wants to have the location after the name..

Email me (get my email by clicking on my name and going to my community page). Include a link to your community page and the city, state that you want listed after your name.

I would advocate backup lenses (maybe just a second copy of the 35-70/2.8) if you're making money in weddings.

One nuance: how much I would sweat it depends on the body in use. Some Nikon bodies 'roll over and play dead' if they lose electronic communication with the lens. The D70 and N80 are like that. The F100 and D200 are not. In general, if the Nikon camera has a mechanical 'aperture follower', it can still use a lens sans electronic communication. I have had this happen to me a few times, and I pressed on as though I had an old MF lens on the camera. If I were 'in the biz', I'd feel better knowing I could do this.

I use canon and carry the 17-40, 24-70 and 70-200. My back is my favourite lens during my fiml days which is the 28-135 IS. Although it's not wide enough for group formals (using 20D so there's the crop factor) i can still just stand a bit further. If all else fails i'll just take out my backup film camera and use that for the formals. So i'm all set.

I think ideally i'd like to use a crop and a full frame as my wedding gear but i still don't make enough through weddings to justify buying a 5D.

Todd - that is my goal to make money and have some fun doing it. I really like the 28-70 FL that I had with the KM7D. It was my walk around lens...

Again thanks to all who answered. What a neat group you are!

Glad you are thinking smart and looking for backup gear. 2 weeks ago, at a church, someone decided they needed my 10.5mm and my 18-35mm lenses more than me. First time I've been ripped off. Both lenses are actually my backup lenses. Hardly ever use the fisheye lens. I use the 12-24mm a lot,it may be a lens for you to consider. The Nikon 12-24 is not cheap, but other brands are about $500 or so, half of what Nikon charges. I have the Nikon but I've read that other 12-24 lenses are just as good. As others have said get a prime or 2.

Here is how it worked out:

SB-600 w/SB-26 for backup

Tamron 20-40

Nikkor 35-70 with lowly Sigma 28-80 for back up

80-200mm with 70-210 f/4-5.6 for back up

Nikkor 28-105D as auxiliary to

50mm f/1.8

I am still looking for an extra WA and either an 85mm or 105mm AI-s lens for a prime.

Your assistance much appreciated.

1st gig on Saturday. I have to start burning some film.