Got the 75-150 Series E lens (the one with the creep)

walterh

Just an update to a recent post where I asked about the 75-150mm Series E zoom.

I got good advice on the "creepy nature" of the zoom action of this lens and was

told to "learn to live with it". Well finally I got a mint specimen - and yes it

creeps and yes its not really a problem.

First tests show this lens really lives up to its reputation so I am glad I got

it. It gives excellent resolution and detail over its entire zoom range. It

seems a bit soft and I try to avoid shooting fully open where image quality

drops somewhat. It seems best in the range 8-11 but Its nearly as good from 5.6

to 22. The little resistance to moving the zoom ring can work well in quick

action once I got a little used to it. The small size makes it handy as an

addition into the bag -just in case it might be needed.

The softness is not a big deal with digital shooting under good light conditions

when one gets low noise images. Compensation by sharpening is no problem then.

In low light it may not be the best lens but one can not have it all from the

little lens. I am (perhaps too) picky about distortion and so I noted with

pleasure that the lens gives images that appear very flat and seem to need no

compensation here.<div>00Hdcg-31727784.jpg.14024478e11c6a4456bd1e2d07518c62.jpg</div>

Walter, what are you doing! this is against Nikon policy! you should get a DX zoom, or the latest 70-300 VR G zoom! You are hurting Nikon share prices by clinging to these romantic, 20 year old creations!

Actually Walter, I am a bit annoyed. After Vivek's comment about the 50-135, I saw one go in the UK for US$300! I was thinking about another 75-150 (I want to have a backup), but after your post I may have to look for another gem. ;)

Anyway, very nice pix and review.

Vivek I do not have a fitting hood yet - so for the test shots I made a cardboard hood. Getting the small things is where I miss the local photo-store the most :-) Getting a hood by mailorder might cost as much as the lens.

Congratulations, Walter.

I'll second Vivek's suggestion to always use a hood with this lens. It does improve contast, especially wide open. I use the same snap-on hood that I use on my 105mm f2.5 and it works perfectly.

I've had one since 1982 (first version) and don't even pay attention to the zoom creep issue any more. The only time that it comes into play is with the camera mounted on a tripod and tilted down.

You may want to pack a CL3T closeup lens in your bag with the 75-150. While nobody will mistake the results as being from a Micro Nikkor, the combination will give you some very respectable images. Just stop down to f8 or f11.

Rich

congrats, i have one as well. but...

"- and yes it creeps and yes its not really a problem."

send it into Nikon, or any qualified camera shop, and have them pack it with an above normal amount of grease and explain why. it helps a great deal.

Walter, for a hood, the HS-7 hood with a 77 mm snap cap is perfect.

Get a used one from KEH.

This hood is dimensionally identical to the HN-23 85 mm f/1.8 AF hood, except that it tapers to a 52 mm filter thread instead of a 62 mm filter thread.

And it does hot vignette. It is actually the hood specified for the 58 mm f/1.2 Nocturnal Nikkor and 105 mm f/2.8 Micro Nikkor.

The good thing about ebay is that you get a good selection of lenses. When it comes to the less valuable parts you wish there still would be a store around the corner where you can dig into this big box and sure enough find a used lenshood :-) I will see what I can get with all the suggestions - thanks for the info.

DJ - I found one HS-7 offered but from the image I can not understand how it snaps on. It may be a false declaration. It looks like a screw in type for 52mm thread. Do you have an image or a link to an image? I got a list of most hoods but no images.<div>00Hf61-31764984.jpg.ed0aa5e06a3021336c3e9612d26f2c0d.jpg</div>

Ok it turned out it was the wrong lenshood. Error of the seller. Good that I asked. Funny people on fbay sometimes. Sells a sens hood with the box of another lenshood. Hmm...

Mark thanks for the link. I got a similar compilation but found none with images. Still good for the link collection :-)