the end of the m

kipling

I've been thinking about this thread all morning. In keeping with Ben's statement, with the price increasing to a ridiculous $3,295 for an M camera (in the US) on July 1, it is reasonable to assume production will slow to a made-to-order level. I'm not so sure that hasn't been the plan all along. The company's profits are in the consumer P&S and digital cameras, not the M line. On the other hand, although the R line is not produced in large numbers either, it is my assumption it is manufactured with higher profit spreads and is produced in pace with its demand in the marketplace.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

It will come to a point where even our beloved medical professional will have to save up to buy one and ask permission from their wives .... hehehehehe

Maybe after paying such vast amounts for a basically "basic" camera, new leica users might even want to learn to take pictures to make it all somewhat worthwhile ....

Of course Leica makes beautiful cameras, but what the company is really good at is economics, as shareholders will tell you.

Here's how it works: Leica is in bad financial trouble. It has a large inventory of unsold cameras. How to sell them and return the company to profitability? Raise prices, a lot. Now that's brilliant. Economics 101.

On the other hand, the only logical explanation of this otherwise bizarre financial thinking is that raising prices has to be a precursor to halting normal production of the M cameras. A la carte M's will be a lot more expensive so Leica can afford to raise prices on what will become an increasingly rare commodity.

Or not.

Forty or so years ago Winchester tried the same ploy with their premier shotgun, the Model 21. It started off as a consumer grade gun aimed at the ordinary hunter. Soon it began to acquire luxury trappings and its production relegated to the 'Custom Shop'. Eventually it became too expensive for this arrangement so its production rights were sold to a venture reproducing replicas of other famous American shotguns at carriage trade prices.

I hear China is in the market for buying up production rights to western technology.

Perhaps in the coming years we'll see discussion of whether the Shanghai, Beijing or Chongqing factory makes the best Leica lenses and bodies. I can't wait for the Leica Seagull, priced to sell for $199.95 at your local WalMart.

Here's a prediction: if Leica discontinues the M's, afficienados will realize shortly that the M3 is the best M Leica ever made and, even though 220,000 were made from 1954-1966, the M3 will become really expensive! Grab one while you can at $500-$1,000 depending. . .

Kipling, if the M is to cease production, it will only be because Leica ceases to exist, or the world came to an end and planet earth is no more. Yeh, sure, and the same guy told my dead grandmother that doomsday takes place on Monday.

It would be nice if more members focused on images and how our gear helps us to achieve our photographic ambitions, rather than feed off and fuel pointless rumours.

Having said that I'm off to buy every model of everything Leica makes just in case the world comes to an end on Monday!

Take more photos!

The demise of the M will symbolise the sea change that is going on in photography. Nobody makes a serious 35mm anymore (is Nikon still selling the F6? If so I stand somewhat corrected). In the average consumer's mind at this point already, film=cheap, digital=quality, in a world where larger formats are unknown.

I wonder if the makers of digital aren't eagerly anticipating the fall of the old ikon.

Used Ms will still be bought and sold, and older photogs and journalists will still want to use them, but after a time they'll take the market and artistic position that the 8x10 Deardorf has today.

In my issue, I noticed the IWC watch too, but wondered about its appearance. It is not really a "current" model, and certainly not one that I would choose (as an IWC collector) to portray the M a la carte.

IWC is now owned by the LVMH crowd; Leica by rival Hermes et al. Maybe they are just having some fun, poking at LVMH.

Here's the latest Reuters (if you trust them...) dispatch on the retrenchment.

http://yahoo.reuters.com/financeQuoteCompanyNewsArticle.jhtml?duid=mtfh51239_2005-06-02_19-07-29_l0230077_newsml

Cheers, Ray Hull