when did E-2 switch to E-4 ?

anybody remember when the E-4 process replaced E-2? was it in the sixties? I

remember the 1976 change from E-3 and E-4 to E-6. also - does anybody know what

happened to E-5? was it a process that was developed and never marketed? just

curious.

Bob Laubach

E-4 was introduced sometime in the late 50's. I've got notes on the complete history of reversal film packed up in a box in the basement. If I unpack that box soom I will post the details.

There never was an E-5 as such, but there was an EA-5 process for Aero film. E-7 was the bulk mix version of E-6. ES-8 was a special process for a special super 8 film. (If it was more widely known, it would be known as Kodak's Edsel.

Wikipedia says:

* E-4 : Updated Ektachrome process for roll film and 135 film (1966-1996, see note)

Note : The E-4 process was generally stopped after 1976, although continued in use for Kodak PCF (Photomicrography Color Film) until the 1980s, and for Kodak IE (Colour Infra-red film) until 1996. This was due to a legal commitment by Kodak to provide the process for 30 years.

Whatever Wikipedia says about Kodak continuing to provide processing for Kodak IE (Colour Infra-red film) until 1996, when I shot it in New Mexico in the mid 80's, if you wanted to get Color Infra-red film processed, you couldn't get it from Kodak -- there was, as I recall, only one private lab in the US which would do it.

E-4 films. The magic name here is �Sprint� Chemistry out of Pawtucket Road Island. If you need to reconstruct the �E� line of processing then these guys can help you to make up the chemicals for the processing. Regards �Photomicrography Color Film�. This is the high altitude recon film (AKA the U-2 glider type air wings flown by men like Gary Powers), that is what we got from Kodak when they asked for the Department of Medical Communications at The University of Texas, M.D. Anderson Tumor and Cancer Research Institute. We used it first in the Zeiss Ultra-Phont Camera that many mistook for a BIG microscope (this was a multi million dollar unit that was the size of a table and resolved images to the limit of light, but it did infrared and UV imaging as well as Macro). When we showed the results to Kodak they began to call it by the name

Photomicrography Color Film. The film found it�s most decisive use as a diagnostic tool in the Department of Pathology, Frozen Section Group. When a section of tissue was removed from a patent with Hodgkin�s Disease, the sample was sliced vary thinly, then removed to the photography stand it was photographed section by section using the Photomicrography Color Film with minus filter Wratten #12, this is vary close to the pictorial filter the Wratten #15 (old designation �G� filter, called a Golden Yellow). Exposures were varied over one third stop increments. This usually took about three rolls of film. Pathologist then used the film the next morning to target tissue sections for secondary stains and were to micro tome the samples. Most importantly they could �see� to determine and confirm the exact point the stage of the Hodgkin�s was days before the tissues were done staining. Diagnoses was shortened so that treatments could begin days prior to examination below the microscopes. John Kikendall was the photomicrograpest, and I was the Path photographer.