Fastest focus setting on D200

cmonkey

I'm quite confused about what setting to use on a D200 to get the fastest

autofocus for my lenses. I've got some AFS lenses, but it seems the camera has

difficulty keeping up, even with high contrast subjects. I think it's just

because I don't know which matrix metering and all that I should be using. Can

anyone share some advice? Thank you.

The metering method you choose has nothing to do with how focusing operates. It would take more words than I am willing to write to explain how the D200's AF works. I would suggest you read your owner's manual. The D200's four AF modes are explained quite well on pages 51-60. The D200 is a relatively complex piece of equipment; it would serve you well to read the manual thoroughly.

If you don't mind spending a little more money (about $30), I would also suggest Thom Hogan's "Complete Guide to the Nikon D200," which can be found here: http://www.bythom.com/d200guide.htm

It is an order-of-magnitude better than the Nikon manual and will really help you get the most from your D200.

That's good advice, but to get started quickly I'd suggest you set the switch on the front to S for single (vs. continuous) focus and use center focus (the bottom-most position on the lever on the back of the camera). Also, in general, I've found matrix metering is a good place to start.

Thom's tutorial on the D200 is invaluable, by the way, so I'd also highly recommend that. Of course, YMMV. Cheers- Bob

Definitely buy the D200 guide from Thom- it's fantastic. IMO, the Nikon manual has a lot of information, but I don't find it very easy to grasp the interactions. Go to the Nikonion.org site and read the sticky post on the D200 focusing system- it's extremely clear and has specific recommendations for various situations.

This is a simple question with a complicated answer. And my answer might not be the answer for you. You must read the manual a couple of times and figure out the best setting for each particular shooting circumstance. It could vary for different situations. I second the recommendation to get Thom Hogans guide to the d 200, especially for your question. Some of the variables are the lens used (AF, AF-S) , your camera setting, like S or C, the AF area selection mode, the AF focal point, custom settings made, etc. All impact the final result. Joe Smith