Knowing when to stop!

I do find I am becoming an obsessive perfectionist in photoshop. I undoubtedly

am having problems knowing when an image is complete or not. It's all art

anyway. For example, the image below which is going on canvas took me hours.

Cloning bits of the tarmac to put over old confettit. Removing what looked like

a bit of dog poo from the tyre track (even though it was minute), sharpening

with noise ninja plugins on zillions of settings etc etc etc. If only someone

would tell me when to stop...<div>00HK44-31227984.jpg.450f82e443f59beef971eb3938e45357.jpg</div>

Hours?

Maybe that time could be spent on proper placement and exposure at initial capture.

Very rearely do i exceed RAW controls in post processing. Everyone works differently but i simply do not have the time to work on photos becasue i've only got a small amount of time from weekend to weekend. The job has to be completed before another one begins which puts me into a situation where i have to get it right at initial capture. So....my advice is to practice on initial capture if your time doesn't allow for a large amount of PS work. If you do have the time, do what ever floats your boat.

If this is just another proof, I'd have stopped at RAW.

But, like you and others have noted, it's a significant enlargement. Such retouching should be expected of yourself.

If I'm ever in doubt about when to stop, I quite zooming in at 300% px to inspect it.

Even if your's is a 20x30 on canvas, the closest normal viewing distance will probably be about 4', and the canvas will force the loss of some detail anyway.

You are right....for that amount for a single print would require perfection in post. Don't stop until you do what is necessary. I'd suggest bringing up the midtones....your posted pick looks a little dull in the midtone spectrum. The origional probably doesn't look this way.....all my posts here on p.net loose their contrast somehow when i upload.

My clients --direct us when to stop. We charge for all time spent > on/in PS. Sounds that 16X20 canvas would cost the client nearly $600 -- just for PS time you spent! We always discuss any avenue with the B&G first...

overall, it's a great shot!

I agree with a previous poster - I think I see "soft" spots in the pavement just to the side of the car, near where they are standing. Is that just the way it looked, or are those places where you cloned out stuff, or is that an artifact of "shrinking" the pic for web? I might try to get those spots to match up to the rest of the texture.

But that being said, I like the composition, the lighting, and the colors. I'm sure the b/g will be happy with it!

Someone else said that spending hours in PS is too much time. I don't necessarily agree. Sometimes it takes hours to do stuff, at least the first few times, while we're learning. Later on, as we get better and faster, the time shrinks dramatically. I find it worth my time to spend several hours on a single picture, as long as I'm learning new techniques and perfecting my PS skills. :)

great shot!

Jennifer

Thanks Al. I'd like more color choices and once you change color you lose the ability to place globs of paint :(

David, I am just learning PS and finding the more I learn, the more I am doing or thinking about doing or trying to do.

I agree for that high a price though, hours of work are required.

From a less trained eye David, I didn't notice the smooth cloned pavement until it was pointed out. Though on a lrage print maybe I would.

are you using cs2? try using the spot healing brush for the confetti instead. no offence, but your cloning skills here are poor and if i can see these "smudges" on a 511 web image, it's going to stand out like a sore thumb on an enlargement. the texture change is too apparent.

It's a nice photo because of the setting, the car and the couple.

Working out the pavement and some work on the tire should not take long at all in photoshop. You might want to spend some of those hours learning to use the photoshop tools to your advantage. Unless you think spending hours on the simple tasks you describe sounds impressive; it could mean you have more to learn about photoshop tools and how to use them?? dunno, asking in a soft way.

The thought you might consider is this: are you actually Overworking the photo and creating a situation where the pixels are looking a wee bit tired from being played with to much and with the wrong tools. There's a fine line that is crossed and you might look into that because it would help you figure out when you are crossing it.

Would you consider posting the original and seeing how long it takes some others here to work it and get it back on line? This process might give you a better idea about how you're progressing with the tools instead of thinking that a lot of hours spent means it will look "better". Better is not always a product of Hours Spent, in fact, it can be the opposite at times.

Post the original David?

Thank you for all your tips. I think I was just too close to it the other day when I spent hours doing it. I started again with the original file this morning and it took me twenty minutes. I had sent the CD to a fine art printing firm in London, but I've rung them and said this new file is on its way. By the way I used the spot healing brush instead of the clone tool. There is some moisture on the ground which accounts for the subtle variations in colour.<div>00HKkE-31246184.jpg.daca200784797026cf79be741dbc6ea5.jpg</div>

David, here's my attempt.

I took 26 minutes which included downloading and getting to photoshop.

Took out clutter on pavement with healing tool and spot healer.

Repaired tire with healing tool and selection of tire area and replacing pooed tire area then cleaned up ... remember, the client is Looking At the Whole of the Image not the tire.

Took out "stuff" on the grass and repaired the curb a bit.

Took out the Bycyclers showing below the background trees: again, the viewers are looking at the bride and groom and the car, that's it!

Repaired the hair that was blown over the bride's face so that hair is not on forehead.

Saturated slightly.

Brought up highlights in wedding dress for a bit of brightness.

Slightly played with shadows around the eyes of the bride.

Sharpened.

Resized and bringing it back.

I think what we have to Remember is that the Customer is viewing the image Emotionally and not Technically. Give the customer what they want: they want the emotion and not technical perfection.

If my version (or others') don't meet your technical standards the next question you might ask is: Would it meet the requirements of the bride and groom? I think so: you've captured a wonderful image at a wonderful location.<div>00HKm4-31246684.jpg.bf4a371562b19a3ed4b3be8808a7be23.jpg</div>