with perhaps three lenses, all of the previously owned persuasion. In looking

at prospective lenses, I'm finding troubling alpha characters in the model

numbers. For instance, : 180mm f/4.5 W-N, 75MM F4.5 L, 140mm M/L-A F4.5. Some

have green Zs inscribed prominately on them, some do not. Same with Ws. I need

a very quick education on the ins-and-outs on this. What do the characters

mean? What should I avoid?

I much prefer asking stupid questions to making stupid mistakes. Thanks for

your help in advance.

All electronic RZ lenses are Sekor Z's. "W" stands for "wide aperture scale", which means it's easier to select half-stops, but it is optically the same as a non-"W" lens. "L-A" means that the lens is a floating element construction, which means it has an additional focus ring on the lens that you should use to get the best edge sharpness and the flattest field, especially when focused close. "M" stands for "macro", which means it's a lens designed for close-up work. "N" means it uses a "new" optical formula, which means it is a improved design over an older lens. "L PC" stands for "perspective control", which means it's a lens with some shift capabilities. "L SB" stands for "short barrel lens", which means it is designed for use with the shift/tilt adapter and you won't be able to focus to infinity without the additional SB spacer (or the S/T adapter).

Almost all RZ lenses are OK, but should you have a choice and $$$ - pick the best.

All APO lenses (210, 350, 500) are top notch. In fact, the 210 is the best lens I ever owned. Period. All lenses with a floating element (140 macro, 65 mm) are also great and so is the ULD 50 mm lens. 110 mm standard is also very good. 180 is OK - very good for its intended application (wedding pics...) and the 180 variable soft focus lens is a curio worth having if you are into soft, dreamy images (better than using soft filters/softars.)

See www.mamiya.com for more info and pictures of the most current lenses.

Avoid anything but the latest. The above poster is correct, the 210 APO should be on your list, it is fabulous, get it if you need a telephoto unless you just can't afford it.

Get the 110, and no other normal lens, it's the best by far, a great lens.

If you want a general purpose wide get the 50 ULD. This 3 lens system would offer you huge flexibility and cover most photo needs with fantastic optics in each of the 3 focal lengths.

I had to go digital for business reasons, I very much miss shooting the RZ. Contact me at basisaudio@aol.com if you are interested in these (except 210 apo, I sold it) in perfect condition in boxes.

Note that only lenses that were available in older series and had optical changes will carry the W mark. The 210 APO was never in need of updating, being a fairly late lens, so you will not be looking for W, they don't exist.

I own a lot of Zeiss glass (for my Canon) and owned a lot for MF, and this is the territory the RZ lenses are in. I consider the strength of this system to be the fantastic optical quality at very reasonable prices. I guess the huge neg and bulletproof construction should be mentioned too.