which CF cards are fast enough for *istD and KM7D?

I need to shoot some action next Saturday and would like to get some

other GB of memory. At the moment I only have a Pentax *istD, but am

still considering a KM7D as a 2nd camera, so which CFs should I get

for storage as fast as possible, but not exagurated for these neither

brand new nor top notch cameras? - I have a Transcend 45x card at the

moment.

I recall reading that the 7D won't benefit from a card faster than "32x" but don't know the background for that statement. It isn't listed/tested on Galbraith's site. The Dpreview review was updated to show results with the firmware change and they used 80x cards. There is the side benefit of faster downloading - again it depends on the method used so the card may not necessarily be the limiting factor.

Cards are long term items, so getting the faster/fastest may not show immediate benefits but may prove useful later on. My style/cards haven't provided me any direct comparable experience with my slowest card as I essentially never use it - it's a holdover from my Fuji S602 and it was noteiceably slower than SM then.

I'd go at least 45x and maybe with the 80X anyway, depending on availability, price.. I don't think the current savings make up for possible future performance drawbacks.

I have a 7D and am using a Sandisk Ultra II 1 GB and a 512 MB. and both will keep up with the continuous mode for 9 shots. After the burst it takes about 4-6 seconds to clear for the next burst. In most situations that seems to work for me.

I hope this helps.

P.S. those 1 gig CF cards are available from Costco for $82.95.

Bob Moon

If you get the KM7D update the firm ware to 1.10e and you will have no problems with fast CF cards. I have a normal Sandisk 2gb, a Kensington 1GB, "GB Microdrive (don't get one) and a 1GB Ultra II. The ultra II is great if i had more cash I would try out the Ultra III.

Thanks for your help. I'm cured from microdrives. The one I have was replaced during warranty and I use it only fearing the worst. We brought a MP3 player for my girlfriend back when we discovered the assistant inadvertendly sold us one containing a microdrive.

I don't see no need for investment in top notch cards now. I'll need the bunch of cards for shooting old PJ style, what would mean juggling up to 3 cameras. Having only one card and body at the moment I believe getting 2 more cards and the 2nd body is no mistake. If I ever manage to afford fast EOS, I'll still need the Pentax for let's say 14mm and surely the Minolta for desperate available light shots, because Canon has no AS/IS fast primes (I see no market for high res prepress pictures at the moment so my 6 MP are rather overkill although pleasant to look at). If I manage to buy enough EOS lenses for a long vacation without any other camera, I suppose I could fill the slow cards with LF subjects and change for a fast one in case of need.