MP v. MP3 Which to Buy?

I think every pair of headphones (especially 'in ear' ones) ever sold are potentially capable of impairing hearing if the user enjoys really stupid volume levels.

The trademark of good hi-fi is that when you turn the volume up the sound gets 'larger' rather than louder. I have heard systems that can be cranked right up without distress to signal (or user) because the sound just got bigger. Cheap systems just go loud and start hurting and sound nasty. It is all about getting the sound that faithfully recreates the original acoustic in scale and detail. 'Volume' is the correct word in its truest sense but is rarely realised properly by most manufacturers. They might as well label the control 'Level of pain' !

Paul, I guess the question is do you look at a Leica as a tool or something more. Anyone looking at the machine as a tool would find it hard to justify going for an MP3 over an MP. But hey, it is a lovely machine (and, in my opinion, a really, really nice lens), and how many people just view Leicas as tools? If one didn't mind the price, it would be nice to buy an MP3 and use it ... the biggest shame would be to buy it and lock it up for the grease to slowly gum up into cement.

Paul, several months ago I posted a query about the MP3 framelines that no one seemed to have the direct answer to; namely, are the MP3 framelines sized differently from the MP framelines, in order to give a more accurate field of view for the 50mm lens at common shooting distances?

I raised this question because someone, in an earlier thread, had suggested this might be the case but supplied no evidence to back it up.

I suppose an e-mail/phone call to Leica could have cleared it up, but I hesitated to do so, knowing the consequences: I'd have to trade in my MP for an MP3!

So, aside from the differences that the other serious respondents to your inquiry may mention, you might want to take the sizing of the framelines into account, too.

MP/MP3 differences:

MP (.72 mag finder) - 6 frame lines;

MP3 (.72 mag finder) - 3 frame lines (35, 50, 90)

MP - Flat VF windows (ala M6);

MP3 - Raised VF windows (ala M3)

MP - Standard frame counter under window;

MP3 - M2 style external frame counter (manually reset)

MP - Standard MP body covering (textured plastic);

MP3 - Vulcanite style textured vinyl body covering (very nicely done)

MP - Standard Leica script engraving only & serial number on top cover;

MP3 - Classic Leica engraving "Leica Camera Solms Germany" with Leica script & serial number on top cover

MP3 - LHSA special engraving (under base-plate) and limited to 500 units each BP & chrome (only 125 units each [bP & chrome] body only - outside the kit)

MP - MSP (USA) $3,495;

MP3 - MSP (USA) $4,295 - both can be gotten for less

That's about it.

Look here:

http://www.popflash.com/item.cfm?id=%24%24%2EBL%5F%20%20%20%0A

and here:

http://www.popflash.com/item.cfm?id=%23%24%5EZJ%0A

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

Paul,

If you are seriously thinking about an MP, have you seen Mark Theken's FS of a few days ago?

Chrome MP w/ matching 50/2.8 and Leicavit for about $3k, less than the MP3. I almost

bought the 50/2.8 and Mark seems light a great guy to deal wtih.

I'm a big fan of the M2 style film counter and the simple 35/50/90 framelines, but if I really

wanted those features, I'd get a mint and CLA'd M2 for less than $1500 easy. In fact, I'd find

a nice user for $600 and give it a full CLA, for a total of about $900.

>>Jonathan- I ordered an a-la-cart MP with MP3 framlines because they are in fact larger like the M4/M2. It arrived and they are great. No more weird stuff in the edges of my 50mm shots.>>

Jason,

A few months back I was curious if the the MP3 framelines showed more coverage area like this in the older M2 and M4. Tony Rose was kind enough to compare an MP3 to an MP and he said the cameras showed the same frame coverage.

Have you compared your MP3 frame lines to an M2 or M4?

I would be surprised if Leica made a different size mask frame set for the MP3. Possible, but

the special order a la carte 35-50-90 is the same mask with just the other frames blocked

out. Some folks have pointed out that an la carte MP/M7 35-50-90 has the lower cut out [for

the M7 readout] which is a disappointment. Wonder if this is the way the MP3 is also?

The older Wetzlar cameras M2/M4/M5 still have the truest .72

I think the only way to go if you do get a MP3 is the full set - Summilux/Leicavit/camera,

otherwise save the cash and get a just as good to use MP is my thinking.

I absolutely compared my MP a la cart with an M6 and my M4. The coverage was that of the

M4. The framelines are a little different though. To allow for the meter diods to display, there

is very little of the bottom framelines for 50 and 35mm. This doesn't really bother me - there

is enough to judge where the edge of the picture is.

I just did a comparison of the frame lines in my MP3 verses my buddy's M6 and the frame

areas appear a bit larger than his M6 frame lines.

I was specifically trying to see if I could reasonably use the outer edge of the MP3

viewfinder to frame a 28mm ... which is out to the edge on the M6 but seems a slightly

inaccurate guide on the MP3 because the MP3 35mm frame lines are pretty close to the

edge already. I'll just have to shoot some to find out.

Paul, I think the MP3 may hold its value a tad better over time since it is being made in

limited quantities. However, if you intend using the camera for weddings be warned that

the old style rewind is slower than the M6/M7 rewind.

I got the MP3 for myself as a reward for a years' hard work, and use it for travel and

personal work not weddings. The retro look and retro 50/1.4 ASPH look vintage but have a

meter. Get whatever winds your clock, because a Leica anything isn't a rational choice

anyway : -)

Hi Marc,

Suggest you make a 'ground glass' screen out of the top of transluscent plastic food

container and sit it on the film rails.

Viewing a bright scene with dominnt verticals you can find precisely what the lens is

transmitting to the film plane.

Very true.

As a minimalist I'd like the fewer framelines theoretically, however my lens kit changes from time to time, so the extra framelines are okay. I like the standard window counter of the MP, the retro/blacked-out look and the idea of a black paint camera to stoke my ego. With the more difficult rewinder knob neither would be my choice for work - I've got M Classics .72 blacks pulling that weight.

Now what can I sell?....ha, ha..

Thanks for your help - Paul

In fact, it is only the 50mm frame in the MP3 which reiterates the dimnsions of the pre-M4-2 viewfinder frameline dimensions. The 35mm & 90mm frames in the MP3 retain the same dimensions as a stock MP body.

The "a la carte" 3-frame set does not have the larger dimensioned 50mm frame of the MP3.