Where to find used Leica in Chicago?

ryan_peck

Is it so difficult to answer this question?

Ryan, there's Central Camera, right in the loop, on Wabash, past Adams if you're going southbound. They have a fluctuating inventory of used equipment and their prices are somewhat higher than what you may be used to, but they also offer a one-year warranty on their stuff. Depending on the Leica you want, it's better to call in advance. I do know they have (or had it last May) a Leica M7 in black, and a very nice Summilux 50, in black too (both box-less but in good shape).

Now... go and click on the links above if you want. And good luck too!

Chicago guys: Is Darkroom Aids still in business? (Lincoln Ave. where it runs under the

Ravenswood line). They used to have a lot of screw-mount Leica and occasional Ms, as

well as MF

I haven't lived in Chi for 20 years, so am out of touch. In a digital era, I don't know if they

have folded - or just made a market in the silver crowd as the big shops cut back on film

support.

OTOH, Darkroom Aids' musty, 'antique shop' environment (I loved it!) made it look like

film was already obsolete - even 20 years ago. Big ol' wooden 8 x 10 enlargers and

"Kodak" wall signs from the 50's and so on.

Helix, Calumet and Central Camera all merit phone calls. Also try George Ury who

advertises in Shutterbug and has an office in Winnetka on the North Shore. George

handles only very clean cameras, including Blads and Leicas. His prices are no great

bargain but he has plenty of fine epuipment, is honest and certainly worth a contact.

Same for Bill Morritz, though he'll likely show you a bargain now and then. Usually has

lots of Leica and Blad inventory.

Sorry I don't have numbers for them. They are often present at the monthly camera show

and sale at the Holiday Inn in a western suburb. See Shutterbug Magazine for dates and

locations. Since I spend most of the year away from Chicago, I'm afraid I'm a bit out of

touch.

Darkroom Aids, where I put together my own darkroom 15 years ago, is no longer in

business. I'm sure you're not surprised. They had wonderful low prices on a wide range

of equipment, much of it used and at very attractive prices. My Omega 4 X 5 enlarger had

been cleaned up to look like new after serving a heavy smoker. He left tar deposits

everywhere, but otherwise did no harm to that wonderful machine. It served me well. The

Darkroom Aids back room usually had giant equipment from recently defunct printing and

engraving outfits. For us small fry, they practically gave away gear like used trays, reagent

bottles and graduates.

Guess I'm not the only one who misses them.