New to the forum

OK. First of all, who are you trying to impress? Why? Do you think we want to be impressed? There is so much talent here I doubt seriously that few can impress. This isn't USENET or any other the popular sites where mediocre stuff makes a splash.

Also, think about this - not everyone LIKES THE SAME THING. You cannot make everyone happy here. You might turn out some great stuff and, unless the right people view it, you won't get the ratings you seem to need. And yes, there's a boatload of gearheads here who don't care what you shoot. It's all about the equipment.

Hi, I lurked here for years before joining and subscribing. I found reading and enjoying more fun than posting photos. I think it may be just me though. Some people post only photos and give good critique to others, that works. There are even some who post excellent photos (Igor Amelkovich for example)and don't critique others.

There is no right way to do it, just try your way and see if it works, or not...you might want to give yourself a screen name rather than a business title.

Cheers.

Hmm....I hope you at least got critiques on yours. I just got a bunch of random scores. Half the scores are like Hot or Not, just someone clicking through and going yes or no. Not to mention this is global, so what is good to one part of the world may not work in another. My opinion, don't worry about critiques, and use the forums to their maximum. Also, if you are after specfic advice about an image, you may have better luck posting it in a specfic forum and asking a question about it.

Hello,

I wanted to thank everyone for their responses. I guess what I was looking for is what someone wrote in their response.

"Zach Ritter , jul 18, 2006; 10:24 a.m.

Hmm....I hope you at least got critiques on yours. I just got a bunch of random scores. Half the scores are like Hot or Not, just someone clicking through and going yes or no. Not to mention this is global, so what is good to one part of the world may not work in another. My opinion, don't worry about critiques, and use the forums to their maximum. Also, if you are after specfic advice about an image, you may have better luck posting it in a specfic forum and asking a question about it."

I was looking forward to specific responses when I put a photograph in the Photo Critique and just got the numbers (I appreciate the numbers.) My fault, I just thought I might get a better understanding or an explanation of why I was getting those numbers. I will submit a specific photo to a forum to get advice or a more wordy critique.

Thank you again.

I don't thing many people would give critiques to the photos you posted, as they seem to be very ordinary. I'm thinking the flowers especially. Something I will never understand about flower shots... Yeah, they are pretty, but the flower shots you posted are really nothing special. I would go out on a limb and say just about ANYONE with a decent digital camera could take those shots.

The music / concert shots are also ordinary, and everyone with children has taken the identical shot you have. Don't get me wrong. They are OK, just not anything anyone is interested in commenting on (for the most part)

The last thing is most people here are really not interested in impressing people. They (like myself) look for critiques and opinions to learn what they are doing wrong (I do A LOT wrong)and most would agree the ratings are kind of bunk. The only reason folks like ratings because the higher they are, the better you photo rates, the more exposure it gets, and the more COMMENTS you are likely to get.

The only time I have received great ratings and comments is when I really think outside the box.

Good luck and have fun.