Trying to decide about the Mamiya AE Finder 701

paul_viapiano

Hi all...

I bought a used RZ67 Pro II kit several months ago that included the AE

Metered Finder 701. I used it a few times and like it, but it adds a lot of

extra weight.

Since then, I've acquired an RZ waist level finder, which is lighter and

brighter. I use a Sekonic light meter to meter with the WLF.

I'm thinking of selling the AE Finder, and my question to all of you is: Can

you see any reason why I should keep it? Will I regret selling it sometime in

the future?

Much thanks in advance for the advice and suggestions...

Cons: huge; heavy; "boring" eye-level perspective if handheld; hard to focus without the flip-up magnifier.

Pros: very accurate light meter + spot; focusing with the accesory magnifier and a microraster screen is a snap; makes the camera more stable on a tripod (2 pounds of glass..!);easier to use than the W/L hood for macro and table-top.

I keep mine even though I use it for only 5-10% of shots. I use the microraster screen (Type C, I believe) and the flip-up magnifier which makes focusing a snap.

When I purchased new a RZ67 Pro II kit 4-5 years ago it came with WLF. I was very happy with this rig from the get-go. But perhaps a year later, I bought a truly mint AE Metered Finder II w/flip-up magnifier for $525, and I just love it! Because I shoot 80% plus outdoors, often in less than pleasant weather and I almost always working on top off a tripod, the prism finder with it's highly reliable exposure. My tripod is a four section heavy duty Gitzo w/o a center post, so my lens height above ground is anywhere between 10 inches to 6 feet. The prism gets the job done. As for macro shots, that is different, perhaps half the time I go with the WLF.

Bottom line, if you shoot, or foresee shooting mostly outdoors on a tripod, the FE701 is a keeper!

Just my two cents worth.