Cartier Bresson Interview online

john sypal

<p>I am sure most of you have seen this already, and doing a photo.net search I saw that it was talked

about <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=0095Ih&tag=">before</a>,

but if you have not seen the Charlie Rose interivew with HCB (and a few seconds with a very enthusiastic

Richard Avedon), you can see it on Google Video <a href="http://video.google.com/videoplay?

docid=-4074157481455007235&q=photographer+type%3Asv_charlierose">here</a>. I know this made

the blog rounds recently but just in case you missed it I suggest checking it out.</p>

Be warned though- it is the full hour long interview. I'm glad I was not at work when I found

out about it, since I'd have hated to have to wait to see it all at once.

Anyone care to share their thoughts about it? I liked the part about him handing his camera

to his friend with the better view to take a picture...

i had to stop watching the video after 5 mins. the journalist interviewing cartier bresson with

his gestures and the way he asked questions drove me nuts.cartier bresson is not a child....

also cartier bresson�s answers were weird. i had the impression that he wasn�t interested in

this interview at all. i love looking at his photos and the biography about him is a great read,

this interview is.... (but yes, i have only watched it for 5 mins)

I was not too impressed with the questions he was given nor how they were asked- the

whole Forceful Statement (something like, "YOU- YOU! Are the GREATEST PHOtoGrapher in

the world of all Time!) is said and then Charlie purses his lips, raises his eyebrows and

tilts his head back. I see where those Daily Show guys get their material to work from.

However I did enjoy his answers- If the point were for Bresson to lay everything out there

on the line and explain everything perfectly with words about how he felt when he took

the picture, then there would not be much point in taking the picture in the first place.

I have heard from a friend that several years back PBS did a series on American

photographers, and there is a bit of an interview with Winogrand. Supposedly both

Winogrand and the interviewer are standing, and Winogrand is snapping off pictures as he

was answering questions. That is something I would like to see. Has anyone seen it?

John, I haven't heard of that PBS series. But on TV for a couple of years here in Australia we had Open Learning series on the ABC. One was photography which went for quite a few episodes. Which I'd taped them! Some very interesting photographers were interviewed including Winogrand. He was snapping away quite freely and he was quite relaxed about it while talking to the interviewer. Actually maybe we're talking about the same thing? In this one he was taking shots of some people throwing a frisbee etc.

I too had to turn it off after about 5 minutes. I have seen at least one other interview with Cartier Bresson in which he seemed bored (and even annoyed at times). Some people, in their area of genius, just have a talent they can't express in order to teach others. So you constantly get "I just do it" or in the case with Cartier Bresson, "I just push the button."

So in the case with host like Charlie Rose, this dynamic makes for an awkward hour-long interview. Where does one go with "I just push the button."

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

I would love to see the Winogrand interview as well. In the meantime though, I just re-read Winogrand's interview with Barbara Diamonstein, which is online at:

http://elmo.academyart.edu/study/ph101/Required%20reading/Winogrand%20Interview.htm

A Leica is not a shovel:

"D: Have you ever had any particularly difficult assignments or photographic moments?

W: ... I don't think of it as difficult. It would be difficult if I were carrying something heavy, but I carry Leicas. You can't talk about it that way. I'm not operating a shovel and getting tired."

Diamonstein's "Visions and Images: American Photographers on Photography" is one of my favourite books on photography. Worth looking for.

Keep in mind this is an interview for the general public, not just HCB fans or photographers for that matter. I'd like to see the outtakes. It seems like there may have been issues with Cartier-Bresson's hearing, which led Rose to almost shout at times. Rose didn't quite know how handle HCB's "Zen" answers to his quetions. Rose was a bit annoying with the constant "Why are you so great?" questions. There are a few moments of sheer insight, joy, and humor in the interview, though. Definitely inspiring and worth watching. Makes me want to go for a walk with my 50 Summicron.

Charlie Rose is good with some interviewees. His problem, as that of many reporters, is that they over-step their bounds of expertise.

Just yesterday for instance, the President of IRAN made Mike Wallace of 60 Minutes TV fame look like a full-on imbicil when discussing the Middle East.

In Rose' defense, HCB wasn't a good educator anyway - that is obvious from any of his intervies. BTW his sketches suck.

Why not have a photographer interview a photographer? At least they'd know what they're talking about.

I sort of watched the whole thing.

My observations:

The energy/age/mentaloutlook of the two people were too contrasty. Bresson, at the tail end of his life, slower, contempt, wiser.

Rose in his career, uncomfortable for having to shout, trying to coin a phrase for the average viewer.

Language barrier. Rose wants Bresson to define philosophical points when Bresson has marginal use of English and clearly can not express him self the way he would in French.

Rose not getting Bresson's answers.

Paraphrasing from memory:

Bresson: "I'm an anarchist"

Rose: ?

Bresson "non violent"

Rose: "in what way"?

-- Bresson trying to say he is an anarchist but not one that Rose would want to coin - an anarchist who is violent and opposes any government to the means of using violence to take down any authority. When he says non violent that pretty much answers it all for me but Rose is clearly not getting it or wants to catch Bresson blurping something stupid. (for exploitation later perhaps)

Rose: what would you like to have on your obituary?

What a stupid question! Bresson is clearly living in the moment and is happy to be alive.

Commenting on one photo that Bresson taken during his overseas travels. Bresson: "I had the most important thing in my pocket"

Rose: "Money!" Rose clearly exposing himself. What and ass. I'm surprised they left it in the interview.

Bresson: "no, film" Obviously. Bresson was wealthy. Money was no concern. Not of importance. Bresson just saying he was lucky to be there, have a camera and rolls of film to shoot.

I liked the nice pieces of info Bresson remembered about the moments of taking his photographs. I also loved his phrase: "lucidity doesn't come with words." Clearly explaining the frame of mind that a photographer has when he is 'in the zen of taking a photo'. Rose doesn't get it so he keeps insisting Bresson explains the whole thing.

Rose: "but how does it affect your work"?

Again, even Bresson's language barrier could not combat this stupid question. Anyone defining the answer would be handing out cliche's.

Anyway. I love Bresson but at the same time I am also of an opinion that it's time to move on and focus on other photographers as well.

<i>jim a , aug 14, 2006; 02:07 p.m.<br>

If you are an HC-B fan, the DVD "Henri Cartier-Bresson: The Impassioned Eye" is worth seeing.</i>

I second that, too. I know both interviews and I thoroughly recommend Bütler's film, which unlocks the whole universe of HCB's thoughts and spirit.