Beat Up Rolleicord

I bought this beat up Rolleicord I for only a little money just about

the same time Sam posted his Rollei repair story. Pretty beaten up. I

think it even has a Rolleicord II's hood. The view screen is virtually

impenetrable and does not look to be stock. I haven't even begun to

figure out where the various light leaks and what the focus issues

might be. I got the camera because it was cheap and I wanted something

with a soft lens.<div>00CV17-24061484.JPG.8d82fbaa9d435b54759541be286704e2.JPG</div>

So there are obviously problems. One is that it tends to roll a fat roll, which I guess means that something might be bent. The other is this light leak - might be from the fat roll but also might be from the red window (which I don't use) or some other locations. Any suggestions? It is that inverted fan shaped leak that "necklaces" the lower part of the photograph.<div>00CV1O-24061984.jpg.286ebacd568ecb9f1d9e033cef75787d.jpg</div>

Jorn - I have the identical camera, which my father owned from new. The "leaves" that make up the viewfinder hood have all come adrift because the hinges have worn out - maybe this is why yours has been given a "new" hood? The viewing screen is dark and dingy even when clean, but a re-silvered or replacement mirror works wonders. There was a post here once that told how to salvage replacement mirrors from old Polaroid cameras, for this purpose. I don't remember who made the post, but perhaps they could remind us again?

Thanks Andrew. I almost posted it here as that forum seems all digital now.

Graham, yes I think you probably guessed it there. The hood that is on there is rather ingenious the way the magnifier flips up or functions down as the sportsfinder with the hidden mirror that flips up inside the hood. Amazingly functional and it still works!

I think at this point I am just going to put the leak down to fat rolling and switch film over to Kodak, plus work on the pressure plate a bit. Kind of gunky and floppy. A little light seal around the edges wouldn't hurt either.<div>00CVEd-24067484.jpg.d9f4f21c3f373a2c129a8c255607a006.jpg</div>