Lens Hoods

tony_craig

Not sure if this would be better suited for a beginner forum, but

since it's 20D-related here goes. What do lens hoods offer and why

should I use them? I saw many 20Ds during my first outing sporting

hoods and wonder how they help and are used. Thanks for your

patience and advise.

Hoods for EF-S lenses are matched to the 1.6-factor sensor of the 20D/350D. Hoods for EF lenses are matched to full-frame. In a few cases an alternative hood can be used to good effect on an EF lens used with a 1.6-factor sensor. Probably the commonest example is the 17~40, on which the EW-83DII hood from the 24/1.4 can be used - neater and more effective than the EW-83E.

A lens hood prevents extraneous - non-subject - light from entering the lens. Light that is not part of the scene that enters the lens can reflect back and forth between the elements and off of the film/sensor plane. These reflections can cause flare and also can subtly reduce contrast in a scene.

Zoom lenses can tend to be somewhat more sensitive to flare due to the compromise in design that is necessary to make a zoom lens zoom. Of course, hoods for zoom lenses must also accommodate the shortest focal length (widest angle of view) of the zoom lens. Therefore, a hood on a zoom lens isn't as useful at the long end of the lens as opposed to the short end. On the other hand, a hood designed for the longer focal length would vignette (shadow the sides of the picture) severely when the lens is zoomed out wide.

So, why to use them? Prevent flare and increase contrast. They also are much better at absorbing impacts to the front of the lens than front element is.

I shoot using hoods on both of my zooms with the 20D, and on my wide-angle prime lenses as well, especially when shooting landscapes where I tend to lean toward the shorter focal lengths.

I bought hoods for all of my lenses as I purchased them (those that were not supplied by Canon), although initially, I rarely used them. I did slap UV filters on the front of all my lenses, though.

Lately, I've removed all the filters (bought a slick little filter wallet made by LowePro to store/carry them), and have been using the hoods, instead. Nowadays, I only fit a filter to the front of a lens when I need it to protect the lens from harsh environs.

I even bought the 24/1.4L hood for use on my 17-40 (I have a 20D), as it can be stored reversed on the lens without taking up an inordinate amount of space in my bag.

<i>In a few cases an alternative hood can be used to good effect on an EF lens used with a 1.6-factor sensor</i>

<p>

With this in mind, if one were going to buy hoods for the following lenses for use on a 20D, should the standard hoods be bought, or is there a better (and hopefully cheaper) hood available? Are there such things as third-party hoods for EOS lenses (outside of the collapsible rubber pieces of crap)?

<p>

The Canon lenses I've been thinking of buying hoods for are:

<p>

*50mm f/1.8<br>

*85m f/1.8<br>

*100mm f/2.8 macro<br>

Lance, IMO stick with the standard Canon hoods (except for the upgrade for the EF 17-40mm mentioned above).

Tony, filters can be as big a source of flare and ghosting as the absence of a lens hood. Jon Austin's advice in his post above is very sound. Add to that the fitting of a polarizing filter when you need it.

Having the proper lens hood in place protects the lens elements and the lens itself, and greatly reduces the need for a full-time "protective" filter, unless you are shooting in dusty, sandy, wet, or other hostile conditions.

As John Shaw says, "Don't put another piece of glass between your expensive lens and your subject unless you have a really good reason to do so."

• 2 weeks later...

As a new member i wanted to ask about the pros and cons of hood use and found this

thread. The balance of opinion seems to be against my long time and I thought successful

practise, of using a uv filter and no hood on all lenses. Having purchased a digital slr

Canon 10D with a 28mm-135mm zoom lens and acquiring a hood as a gift, I will change

my habits and report back in a few months.