canon NJ service center

david8

I was going to post an positive experience with canon service today, since so much

posting is generally about problems and issues, but.....

I sent out a 20D with focus problems to Canon, included a CD of images indicating the

problem with various lenses and such. It was returned within a week, which impressed me

to no end. Fab so far, but the problem still exists... no change at all. Ran a bunch of new

test and always the same result, if not worse.

Might anyone have an insight on how to insure a positive outcome, in as quick a time

frame as psossible, with Canon's NJ factory service center?

Thanks

Dave

David - can you elaborate on the problem? Of course you have to consider

that the service facility found nothing "wrong". Might you be expecting razor-

sharp images right out of the camera, 'cause if you are, as Gomer Pyle used to

say, surprise, surprise, surprise! You must apply some post-processing to get

a boost in sharpness, or rather, perceived sharpness. Google this site for

articles on "unsharp mask". As far as the service center, I found them to be

exceptional in the past.

Thanks Charles

And they did concure with the problem. Used L zooms and primes, high shutter speeds,

and a tripod to document the problem as well as a manual focused image with each lens

as a control..... way beyound the normal softness associated with digital images.....

thanks

Dave

Send it back with another letter and proof of the problem. They usually pay a bit more attention the second time around since they know they are likely to get it back AGAIN if they don't fix it.

Without seeing your images in person and knowing exactly how they were shot, it's very hard to tell if your expectations are higher than Canon's specifications or if there really is a problem!

When Canon return a repair there's usually a note in there saying what they found wrong and what they did to fix it. Was there any such note or did they just say "checked and found OK".

Thanks Bob...

Attached screenshot from the EOS viewer indicating focus point. 85mm 1.8 on tripod with

1/2000 shutter, and 2.0 aperture. Focus point right on that high contrast edge. If my 20D

understanding is correct, center focus point (which this is) should be hyper accurate with

lenses 2.8 and wider.

Let me know what you think

Dave

Dave-

If I may but in. In looking at your test photo I think I may know the problem. First, the edge you refer to does not strike me as high contrast or particularly distinct due to the shadow. The hand lettering seems to me as being a more high contrast target which brings me to point two. Part of the problem with all of the AF fuss is that I believe that the AF snesor actually sees a larger area than the box that you see. What I think has happened here is that the AF sensor locked on the highest contrast object in its view which is the lettering even though it is outside of the indicator box that "you" see. If I am right, your AF is dead on.

Thanks Peter,

I wish it were... tried under a number of scenarios, lenses and different tests set ups.

There seems to have been a build up of the problem from the first use of the

camera....perfect in the sense of my EOS film bodie, then a steady decline in focus during

normal use (not tests set-ups). For a month, I watched my technique VERY carefully,

assuming user error is generally the issue. But after watching good work being trashed

due to focus errors, I started testing. Never had a problem with the eos bodies until now.

I hate the idea of a precision camera body being fed-ex'ed again....and again

Dave