Magenta prints on my Epson 2200

I have been printing for years with consistantly wonderful results using an iMac G3, OS 9.2

and PS5.5, so of course I decided I should upgrade. Got 10.3 and CS1 and I can't get a

B&W

print to save my life. I've read all the threads and even tried the help button - but I can't

get black and white. I calicrated the monitor using apple's standard tool (worked fine for

me in the past) I think I have set the color space to Colormatch RGB which worked fine

before and which (I think) Epson recommends, and I THINK I set the profile correctly for

use with Velvet Fine Arts paper - but the prints I get are magenta and white.

Inks are full enough, nozzles clean. I turned color management off in PS, Select the right

paper, use the color setting, 2880dpi, no High Speed, black point compensation checked.

I've downloaded and reinstalled the printer driver.

I know there is some simple, stupid thing I'm doing wrong, but I don't know what the hell

it is.

Thanks in advance for any ideas you might have!

-A

Did you click on "Black" instead of "Color" in the Print menu?

Clayton Jones is one of the biggest proponents of this approach (he also uses a 2200):

http://www.cjcom.net/articles/digiprn3.htm

is the specific page you want, but all of those in CJ's series are worth reading.

(Or, in Google, type "black only" (in quotes) along with "2200" to learn more, but there's

not much to know: it just works.)

It sounds like that old familiar phrase "Double Profiling". I have a PC so I am not sure what dialogs you have on a Mac but the Epson software places paper specific profiles in the Windows Color management tab of the printers properties and I'll bet it does a similar thing on the Mac. Watercolor paper was the default out of about 6 papers and I had to remove all of them (they are still accessible through PS) to eliminate this problem. Interestingly the UK driver does not do this and I am not sure why the US driver does.

The other thing to check is if you have recently changed your black cartridge to the Photo Black. This was actually my problem as the UK driver will not allow black only printing unless there is a Matte black cart installed. The US driver is not so fussy which is why I installed it (easier than re-chipping the cart!)