estate of Mr. Collins? This was actually the second set of auctions;

I had purchased a lens in the first set last November and received

notification of this one. I was surprised that the final bids on

many items -- some really rare stuff and most of which in unused

condition -- were somewhat low. I thought collectors, and even

delears, would be all over that auction, especially in light of the

impending price increase. The bids were low enough for even users to

jump into the fray.

The recent <a href="http://www.westlicht-auction.com/index.php?id=35214&refererid=9924&_ssl=off&lang=3">Westlicht auction</a> also had quite a list of unsold items, plus many of the items that did sell, went at just a little above the start price - maybe 75 - 100 euros. As a result, they are selling all remaining items at start price, which is the first time I can remember this happening. Usually they just put the few remainders into the stock at the Leica Shop with the usual mark-up. I am going to guess that the dollar-euro value has a lot to do with this. Not saying it was necessarily a bad result as I don't know what their expectations were, just that it was different than I remember.

As far as the Westlicht auction, ou're right that many items didn't sell. However, you have to be careful in interpreting the hammer price, since in the latest auction it doesn't include the auction premium AND is listed in Euro. The final price that the bidder has to pay when converted to dollars is about 50% higher. Thus, a lens that sold for $ 3100, the buyer would have to pay a total of about $ 4650. Don't be fooled by the prices, although I think it is fair to say they are lower than the last Westlicht auction about a year earler.