I own a Canon 350D, AKA the Digital Rebel, and it has given good service. I

have never used the pop-up flash, prefering a stronger detachable one from

Metz on the hot-shoe. Now I have a need for the built in model as a starter

for external studio strobes. I find the pop-up isn�t "popping". It remains in

its closed position, makes an ugly clacking sound a few times, then an ERROR

05. Anybody have an idea what might be causing this and if there is a remedy,

without having to send the thing in for a probably costly and several weeks

long repair?

I don't think the pop-up flash would serve to trigger external flashes, even if the pop up flash "popped up."

The E-TTL system uses a pre-flash for metering, and that would trigger your strobes too soon. Of course if you are using manual mode, perhaps the pop up doesn't use a pre-flash. Not sure.

You might use manual mode, and your metz, to trigger the external stobes.

<<find the pop-up isn?t "popping". It remains in its closed position, makes an ugly clacking sound a few times, then an ERROR 05>>

I don't know what causes it, but you could try helping the flash lift itself with your fingers.

Getting the flash to pop up is one thing. Using it to trigger studio strobes is another - basically it won't work! That is because the popup only works in E-TTL mode, which produces a preflash that will trigger your strobes ahead of the actual exposure. One workaround is to "dump" the preflash, using * button to trigger a flash exposure lock, then waiting for the strobes to re-charge before taking the real shot. Another is simply to use your Metz on its lowest power setting under manual control instead (assuming it offers such an option) - or another shoe mount flash with manual control for low output. Another is to use the cheaply available radio slaves sold on ebay.

thanks a lot to all who have offered a solution to the problem and the bits of strobe theory, most of which I didn�t know beforehand.

The inbuilt flash is still stuck and will have to be returned to the shop for repair, but luckily it�s still under guarantee, so I�ll just have to find my shutter finger something else to do for a few weeks.