240mm Fujinon-A Ghosting

justinblack

I have recently been using a Fuji-A 240mm and have been generally impressed with the

results. However, I did encounter one situation than perplexed me. I was photographing a

composition in a redwood forest that included some leaves that were brightly translucent

due to being somewhat backlit (sun wasn't in frame, but probably about 30 to 45 degrees

out of view and no other flare is present). Both on the ground glass and in the resulting

transparency I got a double image ghost from some of the backlit leaves (but not all),

while curiously the specular highlights in the shot do not show any ghosting. I don't

expect this kind of problem from a modern multi-coated lens.

So, I have two questions:

1) Has anyone had similar experiences with this lens?

2) Has anyone seen this problem in any of the 240mm f/5.6 plasmats?

Many thanks

Is this the longest lens you've been using recently? If so it's possible that the problem isn't the lens but rather is pin holes towards the front of your bellows that haven't been exposed with shorter lenses. Of course it could be something else entirely but when I've had ghosting in portions of the negative and not in other portions, and only with my longest lens, I eventually tracked it down to pin holes towards the far end of the bellows.

Thanks for the feedback thus far.

In response to Brian's question, I've also been using a 300mm and a 400mm tele with no

problem, so I don't think it's a bellows pinhole issue. The ghost images overlap the backlit

leaves, and are truly "ghosts" or slightly darker "shadows" of the actual leaves. It looks like

a classic issue of ghosting caused by highlights bouncing off of element surfaces within

the lens, but I wouldn't have thought the brightness would have been enough to cause this

in a multi-coated lens, and I'm perplexed by the fact that it didn't occur in all the leaves of

the same brightness value or in specular highlights that are actually brighter.

So, those of you who have used the 240mm Fuji have never seen this kind of ghost image

problem?

Sorry I was unclear. I have a 240A and 300A, but wish I could have a 360A and 600A. They

are quite rare and very pricey whenever they appear. I have also owned a 180A, but got rid

of it when I moved up to 8x10, etc. It was wonderful also. At this point, all my lenses are

Fuji, and I've never seen any ghosting.

Justin,

Check your lensboard for pinholes. Also check around the mounting flange, screws, etc. This can cause this effect which you are describing. It's just like taking a picture with a pinhole lens. It will be off-axis with the image the lens produces on the negative, placing the optical center of the image in a different place on the print. (Think of how front shift works)

When this happens, the "ghost" image is being made the whole time the dark slide is pulled, so it actually gets quite a bit of exposure. This may not be your problem, but I've had it happen on a lens that I had just gotten and fitted to an old board.

Look closely. It doesn't take much of a void to cause this.

Good light.

DG

David,

Thanks for your thoughts. The lensboard is metal, and as far as I can tell there is no

pinhole in it, nor would the mount permit stray light to enter the camera. At the time I

made the photograph in question, I could clearly see the double image ghosts

on the ground glass, but I have tried to replicate this problem in other situations with a

dark background and a bright subject contrasted against it, to no avail.

Here's a thought... when I was making the image in question, I was using an extreme

front rise. Could the ghosts result from an inability of the lens to focus some

wavelengths of the bright yellow-green leaves at near infinity focus toward the edge of the

image circle? I'm probably clutching at straws here, I know...

- Justin