Anyone use Crumpler bags for their EOS kit?

I switch off between Crumpler and Lowepro, depending upon the situation. Although it's

easy to get lazy and leave gear in one or the other and stay with it for a while. Seven

Million Dollar Home proved to be lighweight, despite it's size and padding composition. I

once weighed it against my Lowepro 70AW along with flanking lens cases and Crumpler

weighed less. I thought that was noteworthy, as some have criticized Crumplers for bulk,

as though that might have contributed to a heavy bag. Proportions of 7 Mil lean more

toward a messenger style bag. Smaller ones in the series despite having height and width

reduced maintain the same depth, ergo becoming more boxy-looking. Depth remains as a

factor capable of containing a 1-series camera, with L bracket and still have room to grab

all of the handle, just like the LowePro Toploader series provides. I carry the Crumpler for

the mission I intend - weekend out in the city, having it appear like a casual bag. And

having sufficient gear in it to handle any interesting opportunities that might arise. I didn't

opt for bright colors and had a time deciding between the brown or black. Brown won.

when you say rucksack, I assume you mean what Americans call a backpack and not the more common shoulder-bag Crumplers. Is that correct? There are two kinds - one where the zipper is hidden against the wearer's back, one where the zipper runs along the outside of the pack. Which one do you mean?

<p>

There's an excellent <a href="http://www.photo.net/equipment/bags/sinkingbarge">review</a> here on photo.net

That review is quite good and echoes my experience. I've had mine for over a year and it goes

everywhere with me, my Nikon (!) and my Macbook. All bets are off it you try putting a Canon

in it, though (heh!)

Secure, and doesn't look like a camera or laptop bag.

"Crumpler," what an unusual name for a camera case. But "Crumpler rucksack" almost blew

my fuse. Sounds so exotic. Kinda like kukui nuts or mango kimchi.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I once used the Crumpler rucksack McBain's Bathtub (they do have some strage names) for a

full Canon DSLR kit: 1-series body, 3 zooms, 180 mm Macro, 2 Speedlites plus a laptop, if

travelling. Access to the gear was good, I especially liked the way you could lay it on it's back

and open the zipper closest to the wearer's back (if you know what I mean ;-). Mud and

insects stayed out and my back clean, though not the rucksack's. Easiliy wiped down. There

IS a downside, too: if you fill such a large rucksack, it get's too heavy to carry for extended

walks. But perhaps that's just me being out of training ...

Christoph

I'm not very verbose on this forum, but you've touched on a topic I feel strongly about.

Crumpler bags are AWESOME!

I use several LowePro bags depending on the situation, but I've also had a black Crumpler "7 Million Dollar Home" camera shoulder bag for a couple years now. What I like about the Crumpler is that it looks like a run-of-the-mill messenger bag. Whereas my LowePro bags scream "STEAL ME!", the Crumpler is pretty unassuming and looks like nothing much more than a book bag. Oddly, because I "baby" my camera gear so much, my wife actually calls it my "diaper bag." LOL!

I have it configured so (at most) it can carry a 1 series body (either 1Ds or 1VHS) with a 24-70 (mounted), 17-40/4, and a 70-200/2.8. It can swallow a Speedlite on top of that if need be, and I also swap out the 70-200/2.8 for a 100-400 at times.

This eBay listing has a decent pic of how it can be configured:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270012354561

Here's a decent review:

http://www.pbase.com/mikench/crumpler

They are very high quality bags. I first clued in on them, because I have a friend who has been using one of their messenger bags for years and couldn't stop saying positive things about them, so when I checked them out to possibly get a new bag for work, I was surprised to find they made dedicated camera bags.

It really is a nice bag - well padded (both the compartment and the shoulder strap) with adjustable internal dividers much like LowePro bags. It's my "go to" bag nowadays. As of late, I'm carrying fixed focal length lenses instead of zooms, so I now find myself more often with a 1 series body, 28/1.8, 50/1.4, and a 90/2.8 macro, and (typically) a load of film, and there's quite a bit of room left.

Hope this helps. Sorry to have blabbered on for so long....

I have a crumpler Brian's Hottub - I got this because of the access from the rear, more so I don't get the bit those goes against my back mudy.

The bag is huge, I can fit all my stuff in http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1757735#post1757735, however I don't use the bag that much as it is quite heavy on its own.

The access is fine for a rucksack but for most useages I use a Lowpro Slingshot 200 as this is much faster.

I've used a Budgie Smuggler (don't ask!) for a couple of years, usually when I want to carry just my 10D with a lens mounted. It's a shoulder bag, but the "chicken tex" material apparently is common to their products. It is somewhat stiff, so it provides good protection but may not be as soft and flexible as some may like. As others have said, it is wonderfully durable, and doesn't look like a camera bag.

Crumpler and Lowepro camera bags both provide more than adequate protection for the demands of most photographers.

Crumpler bags are more stylish, if you're into that sort of thing. Pretty funky colors. LowePro bags look boring in comparison.

I personally prefer Domke bags. They match my wardrobe...heh!