understanding the M8

neilpeters

A rangefinder takes a "different" picture than an SLR, TLR or point-and-

shoot. This ergonomic perspective begins, if only mili-seconds before

exposure, producing a pre-seen image in the mind which is identical to a

romantic impression.

It is the difference between making love to Sophia Loren and Pamela

Anderson. The joy of any M, is that when loading film in the morning, the

process has begun, and becomes an all day affair, not just an afternoon tumble.

"This ergonomic perspective begins, if only mili-seconds before exposure, producing a pre-

seen image in the mind which is identical to a romantic impression."

I'm just trying to figure out what the heck this actually means! I'm not sure what an

"ergonomic perspective" is; but, my day gig is as a photojournalist and I can tell you my eye

has "pre-seen" too many images through an M3 viewfinder that were anything but a

"romantic impression."

Peter's analogy is strained although there's a bit of a resonance for me. Of the cameras I own (Leica, Rollei, Canon & 4x5) the Leica is the most sensual. The Leica is a bit more fun just to play with and not use to take images. The others are more businesslike and to the point, maybe like a prostitute?

If you extend Peter's analogy the raison d'etre of sex is ostensibly procreation, much like a Leica's being image making. Pleasure is kind of a side benefit. If a child is the result I'll tell you that the right kind of spouse is very important for the raising part. I don't know if I'd want either of the two women mentioned above for that.

I don't find much difference in image visualization with rangefinder versus SLR versus view camera except when time is of the essence. For rapid fire stuff there's less visualization and more instinct and just luck.

FWIW, my bit of Sunday AM philosophy.

Cheers,

" A rangefinder takes a "different" picture than an SLR, TLR or point-and- shoot. This ergonomic perspective begins, if only mili-seconds before exposure, producing a pre-seen image in the mind which is identical to a romantic impression."

"It is the difference between making love to Sophia Loren and Pamela Anderson."

Quite clearly the second statement is not based on your personal experience, which poses serious doubts about the first one as well.

"It is the difference between making love to Sophia Loren and Pamela Anderson."

Sophia Loren, along with Bridget Bardot, WERE the Pamela Anderson's of their day. :)

Both, I suspect, just to keep things on topic, were studied through the viewfinders of a lot of

Leicas. Since Loren really made her debut in the mid 50's, it was likely the always sensuous

M3 all those shooters were gazing through.