images on screen and on paper

It's a dilemma for sure. My Win 98 machine could probably handle some more memory, but would that give me a sounder platform? At present, it crashes on a fairly regular basis if I switch too often among graphic-intensive application. I guess the upside is that I'll still have the old machine which is going into my wife's study. If the new one has major problems, I guess I can always switch back and go for the memory upgrade.

Mike, I'm running windows XP with a Gig of memory on a 2-year old Compaq and an Epson 1280 printer. The 1280 can now be found used, but I've found that when printing at high resolution levels on semi-glossy, the ink supply on the 1280 is soon exhaused, and printing in large format takes a lot of time per print job (like 30 minutes or more) The cartridges are VERY pricey. The Gig of memory when scanning from my new 4180 Epson is NO luxury. On glossy paper (which I have stopped using) the 1280 had a "bronzing" problem with back inks. One I had the hang of the semi-glossy Epson paper, the quality of the prints was stunning.