today my uncle gave me an old Rolleicord that he found, but the

shutter is obviously sticking at speeds other than 1/100, 1/250th and

1/500th, and the film frame counter doesn't seem to work, although

both the viewing lens and 3.5 Xenar taking lens appear to be in

perfect shape after cleaning them up a bit. I'd love to have a TLR as

the RB67 isn't that easy to carry around for long periods of time, and

TLR's seem easier to handhold. Would it be worth the money to have

the 'Cord repaired, and if not, what would the best option be for

buying a used TLR, taking the quality versus cost into account?

The Rolleicord is a fine camera. I think the frame counter doesn't change unless the camera is loaded with film. Probably would cost about $130 or so to have it serviced. Well worth the cost, I think.

Even if you were to buy a Yashica, it probably would need serviced. So that means you still don't avoid the cost of having the camera serviced. Cost of servicing the camera would be about the same, because it's similar work involved.

Alex, two years ago I couldn't pass up a Rolleicord V at a yard sale that was $40 and needed a CLA even though I had a working Minolta Autocord. Although, the two are different, (the Minolta has more of the features of old Rolleiflex Automat, plus a great lens and the Rolleicord V has the superb build quality), it was worth the extra effort to get the Rolleicord CLA'd. The sticky shutter will be an easy fix for someone who specializes in TLR repair.

It's expensive, but do have a bright screen installed on the old Rolleicord. It makes for a world of difference when composing.

By the way, shutter release on the Rolleicord takes some getting used to. I've installed a plunger from an old 1930's Retina into my cable socket, which for me is a more natural way to trip the shutter.

Best Regards - Andrew in Austin, TX

You can't buy a 'new Yashica' because they stopped making them several years ago. So whatever you buy will probably need sevicing as well. The Rolleicord is a fine camera if it is only the shutter that needs work. If any TLR shows evidence of being dropped or banged about, avoid it as precise alignment on these cameras is very important.

Before you do anything else, try dry-firing the shutter a few hundred times. I've brought a number of shutters back to spec this way over the years...the worst thing that you can do to a shutter is to not use it for long periods of time.

(But a CLA's not a bad idea...if nothing else it'll give you peace of mind.)

About the film counter--it needs a roll in and the back in order to depress a small reset lever. So one less thing that's broken. The model, according to Serrial number, is a Rolleicord III. Used Rollei's listed as having good shutters and working condition look like they are going for around $150--any experiance of wether or not these still are in need of maintinance?

In regards to excercising the shutter, it initially got worse at all speeds when doing this, but it seems to (hopefully) be improving-though only a small bit so far.

In answer to Richard Sinchak's question, I understand that Harry (Fleenor)has much less of a backlog than previously and no longer takes "forever."

However, my personal experience has been with Krikor Maralian who is also a highly regarded Rollei repair person. The two CLAs he's done for me (on a Rolleiflex 2.8E and Rollei 35) have been excellent and FAST:

Krikor Maralian,

Krimar Photo Shop,

105B Broadway (Route 4),

Elmwood Park, NJ 07407,

(201) 796-0554, Fax (201) 797-9356

I had a rolleicord V which, after lotsa firing, started not to work on the slow speeds. SO it can work the other way sometimes, when you "exercise" an old shutter it might block up even more.

I cla'd it for less than eur 100, www.dekamera.nl , but it's in the netherlands.

Alex: Overhaul the Rolleicord.

Richard: I can recommend Paul Ebel for excellent service at a reasonable price in servicing Rollei TLRs. W230 Terrace Street, PO box 86, Spring Valley, WI 54767. 715-778-4372 (check the area code -- seems they're always changing these days).

I will echo the endorsement for Paul Ebel. He did a fine CLA job on a Rollei 2.8E for me, and he turned it around in 2 weeks and he cost about half of what Harry Fleenor charges. I have also heard good things about the work done by Ross Yerkes in L.A. IMHO, Mark Hama is the man for work on any Yashica or Minolta Autocord, but he's not got any particular expertise on Rolleis, relative to the other gentlemen listed above.

Thanks guys. Just got off the phone with Paul. Helluva nice guy. And only $125 and 10 days turn-around for shutter CLA and making sure my counter is working properly (seems to stick sometimes when I replace films). Mark wanted $175 and 2 weeks.