collapsible diffusers/reflectors, etc.

skiphunt

Hi,

I've borrowed friend's 5-in-1 collapsible reflector/scrims for a couple years now.. and, have found them

soooo useful that I must get one for myself.

I lit some scenes for another friend's documentary a couple weeks ago, and he had one of those arms that

clips right onto the scrim... also has pivot mount to the stand and allows you to position the scrim just

right. On a recent video shoot, I had help.. but the guy kept flickering/bouncing the light all over the place

and I ended up with hot spots where I didn't want them... so unless I'm holding the scrim myself... or,

another photographer is holding is... I better go for some sort of stand.

Checked B&H and had no idea how many varieties there are. Are they all about the same? I think I was

using 42in scrims in the past.. is this the best overall size to go with?

I shoot light through the diffuser in a pinch, use the silver and white options... but have usually found the

gold to be a bit much... perhaps one of the 8-in-1 options that has gold and a toned down gold as well?

Is it a rip-off to get the holding arm, stand, and collapsible scrim "kits"? Or, the best value?

Are there brands I should definitely stay away from for lack of quality/durability?

What about the Lastolite TriFlips a better option than the round ones?

Are the Impact branded ones any good? They seem to be the best value for "kits", but will they last?

Thanks,

Skip Hunt

Austin, Texas

No, not really looking for a c-stand. I was just going to get one of those collapsible units

that gives me 5-in-1 or 8-in-1... but thought I might just get the whole kit with stand and

boom arm. Most of the time I don't have assistance or whoever is standing by can't seem

to keep the darn thing steady, etc.

Those cali-bouce units are pretty sweet, but too rich for my blood ;-)

Was looking at this set-up:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?

O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=283648&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigati

on

I have something like that, with a small ball head in the top that allows the arm to be turned and locked to just about any position. The problem is that it is not solis enough to keep the reflector in place except in a few positions where little strain is put on the arm (ie. not fully extended to the side, but okay when hanging down from the stand). There may be different manufacturers and qualities but it looks exactly like the one in the picture but was a lot cheaper.

those arms are a rip off. For one it is not heavy duty and you need a heavy duty stand to hold

it steady from wind. Bottom line is you don't want to spend the money to get the right

equipment so you are better off having someone hold it for you. The items you are

considering is only good for indoor use no wind only.

The units I've been borrowing, though not perfect, are certainly well worth it... easy to set

up... compact, etc. I've been using the 42in variety and it is awfully hard to control in

wind... and the boom arm my friend has only holds it in a few positions with strain as

others have reported.. but it works.

That company recommended called "california bounce" only sells a smaller circular/

collapsible disk. They sell the larger 2 sided retangular reflectors and claim the reason

they don't sell the larger circular diffusers is because they tend to "pototo chip", bend, and

are too hard to keep steady in wind causing unwanted hot spots, etc.

That's pretty much the problem I recently had with a handy stand-in assistant not being

able to keep the reflector steady. I wonder if you just drop down to the smaller 32in

version.. if it's much easier to manage? And if the boom arm actually handles it better?

Looks like the photoflex one uses a weave of silver and gold to get a more subdued gold

instead of that brassy color. Think I'll go for the 32in photoflex.. looks a bit more robust,

easier to manage in size, more likely to be stable in wind and on the boom arm. I can

always add a second 42in one for indoor work or when I need a second reflector.

It's not so much a matter of not wanting to drop the big bucks for the pricier California

Bounce versions... but they don't look as compact and versitile to me. Unfortunately, I

don't usually get the kind of budgets to afford a couple of assistants.. have to haul all my

own lights, etc. So compact and versatile will work better for me.

Thanks for all the advice.

Skip

I use a 42 inch round 5 in 1 reflector/diffuser. At the camera shop where I bought the reflector, they also had a boom that has 2 clips to hold the reflector. It works great. I tried using the boom to hold an AB 800 and it worked OK with able counterweight, but was real bouncy. It's kind of a no-name boom, but the boom and stand was about $80.

Well for my experience the unit �DynaTran� light disc holding arm� is a real piece of junk. I have used several and they all require that the handle be tightened until it is frozen shut. My recommendation is the Bogen light stand with the outrigger arm. I clamp Pony #2201 clamps along the shaft out-rigger arm with Pony #2202 clamps to hold them in place. The out-rigger arm is then positioned and I can use the counter weight at the end to help �anchor� the unit against movement in the wind. Of course I use a heavy steel counter weight to anchor the thing to the ground. In addition, I use the silver and black so called reflector to hide under to keep heat and sun off the camera and my head when shooting. I use the silver side up to reflect sun away while providing the black bottom side as a deep shade to reduce reflections from the camera. I should note that I will carry a big piece of black cloth, 6X6 foot, to cut reflections from the ground. The clarity and color rendering are quite an improvement with these light scrims in the natural environment.