How do you find the focus point using Canon software?

marymac

In many of the threads about focusing on this board people have

mentioned the ability to determine which focus point the camera was

using by opening the image in the Canon viewer software. Can someone

help me find this function?

I've looked at my pictures (all RAW format) in both Canon EOS Viewer

1.1.0.15 and Digital Photo Professional 1.1.0.2, both of which came

with my 20D, and I can't see any setting or info palette that shows

the focus point. Thanks!

- Mary

Open EOS Viewer Utility. Double click on a thumbnail to enlarge image display. Along the top are icons. The "Show or Hide AF Point" icon is immediately to the right of the IPICT icon (has a little red retangle on it). Click on the "Show or Hide AF Point" icon and it will display the AF point used.

Well, it works that way on a Mac. I assume the PC version is similar. This feature is also covered in the software manual if you desire more information.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

• 4 years later...

<p>Just a comment on this. I started using the Canon 40D, and as was mentioned you can get the zoombrowser ex software to show you what auto focus points were active during the shot. In addition, if you go into the camera menu you can set it so that the focus points are shown to you when you review your photos with the camera's LCD.<br>

However, when I first used this the focus points all looked like they are in the wrong place. It made no sense. Then I realized something. I had been using the focus - focus lock - recompose method of shooting. <br>

But, the problem is that the camera records the focus point location at the moment you press shutter. It has no idea you just focused somewhere else and then recomposed. So with this method of shooting it seems it is not much help seeing where the AF point was. This is my understanding of it.</p>