places to stay at Iguazu Falls

scott_davis5

I'm planning my trip to Argentina (going in early september), and I'm going to

include a trip to Iguazu in my itinerary. Where would you all recommend

staying- is it worth the extra money to stay at the Sheraton inside the park,

or is it easy enough to get around without a rental car if you stay in town?

If staying in town is an option, which hotels would you recommend?

Scott, you don't need Sheraton. There are many hotels near Cataratas do Igua�� as good or better than Sheraton. Take a look in www.bourbon.com.br/index_cataratas.php or www.hoteismabu.com.br they work for me and my family.

Whatever you do, you must to see Cataratas do Igua�� from Argentina and Brasil (both sides). Taxi is cheap and you always can rental car or some tourist guide, hotel's staff can help you on this. Ah, don't forget to eat "dourado", is a fish from our rives...excellent. Have a nice trip.

We enjoyed staying in the park but, as Carlos said, taxis are cheap, and there's no need to. At least in Argentina, car rentals are expensive, so I wouldn't take that option. If you'll be taking any of the boats, you'll be getting wet, so make sure your camera bag offers very good protection. (I took off my poncho and wrapped it around my bag once I realized how wet it would be.) Take insect repellent and a hat -- you don't want insects falling on your head. It'll be hot, but wear long pants. As Carlos said, you'll want to see both sides. If you're a U.S. citizen, make sure you get a visa, in advance, for Brazil.

I'm from Argentina, but I think the views are better from the Brazilian side. You might look for a hotel as near as possible to the falls on the Brazilian side.

For the evening, you might be offered a dance show -- Argentine tango, Brazilian zamba and Paraguayan folklore. The dancers work hard, and some of them have a bit of talent, but it is the tackiest exhibition I've seen in a long time.

This is more than you asked for, but it's such a beautiful place that I couldn't stop.

Carlos and Hector, great to have two locals here. Can you recommend a travel agent in either BA or Rio for booking a side trip to Iguazu? Can you recommend a tour guide who is knowledgeable about photography? If one stays on one side, is it possible to cross the border for sunrise or sunset shooting within one day, and not staying overnight on the other side? Thanks.

Robert, unfortunally I can�t recommend a travel agent in BA or Rio either a tour guide in FI. But a guide tour it will be not dificult to find there. Ask in your hotel for them.

Yes, it's possible to know one side by day. In true, maybe you can do both sides in one day.

I second Hector with hat, insect repelent, sunblock and about your camera bag. I just disagree with the most beautiful side: Argentina's side is most beautiful, at least for me. When you back, let us know your opinion.

BTW, Alex is right. http://br.weather.com/weather/local/BRXX0094?x=13&y=17

Good luck!

<p>I going to BA for the first time this coming October. I did some research on Iguazu Falls and this place is very popular to stay besides the Sheraton: <A href="http://www.secretgardeniguazu.com/">Secret Garden Iguazu</A>

<p>From what I read on Tripadvisor.com's Argentina forum : <A href="http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g294266-i977-Argentina.html">Argentina forum </A>(A very good forum to get travel information on Argentina) about Iguazu Falls, staying at the Sheraton in convenient because it is inside the park. Also it is expensive and the food it ok.</p>

</p>If you are only there for a day it would be better to stay at the Sheraton.Also you can hire a driver to drive you over to the Brazil side of the falls instead of renting a car.</p>

</br>

Bill

Scott,

I would recommend staying at the Sheraton if your time is limited when visiting the Argentina side. We stayed in Puerto Iguazu and took the bus into the park. The bus, though cheap, stops at many hotels and so you lose precious time. It takes a good 45 minutes by bus into the park.

I used a travel agent in BA to book my internal flights and hotels. The same travel agent is recommended in this NY Times article. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?sec=travel&res=9502E6DD1E3FF93AA2575BC0A9679C8B63

I would recomment you book your hotels directly with the hotel and use a travel agent to book flights. You usually have to prepay for hotels with agents, and that doesn't leave you with any flexibility in case a hotel is not what you expect.

Enjoy your trip. It is beautiful. My gallery has shots from Argentina.