Funky Firing of a 550EX on a 10D

bens

Recently got a 550EX, which fires fine on my old D30 every time.

On the 10D it fires sometimes, but only fires pre-flash other times.

If I jiggle and play with it, I can get it to fire, but its dicey.

I've noticed that somehow the hot shoe is bent upwards a little on

the right side, not sure how it happened. I've also noticed the

front contact for the flash on the 10D seems a little darker than on

the D30. So -- could a slightly bend up on the hot shoe create

contact problems? Is there a best way to clean contacts? Anyone had

similar problems and solutions? Would like to have it functional for

a trip in two weeks. Thanks for any ideas.

"I've noticed that somehow the hot shoe is bent upwards a little on the right side, not sure

how it happened. "

That sounds like the problem. If you can't bend it back, take it to Canon Service and get

the hot shoe replaced. Cleaning won't help if the contacts don't touch.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Thanks Puppy Face. At the risk of sounding like an idiot -- okay, I gave that up long ago around here -- any ideas how best to try to bend it back? I've tried finger pressure, not enough. Afraid to take a hammer to it. Not enough space for pliers and the like. I am, besides cameras and computers, "mechanically challenged."

<p><b>WARNING: I am not a camera repairperson. This is just a guess. If you try what I'm suggesting, <u>you</u> are fully responsible for anything that goes wrong.</b></p>

<p>Do you mean that the rail on that side is bent up? If so, perhaps laying the camera upside down on the edge of a hard surface, with the bent portion of the rail in contact with that surface, and then applying pressure to the body might fix it.</p>

thanks steve. i release any and all persons who make suggestions from any and all claims by me about any and all things related to this thread. (phew)

steve, not crazy about this idea because lack of precision could bend the left side in, when its fine now.

okay, any other ideas?

Lay a paper-back book on a solid talble top. Do not use a hard cover book. Put your 10D on the book. Ask a helper to hold the camera tight in place. Use a small hammer with one inch diameter flat head and a hardwood bar with the size of a pencil. Do not use metal bar because the vibration will be large enough to cause damage to the camera. Aim the woodden bar on the bended hot shoe and use the hammer to strike the other end of the bar. Your helper must hold the camera tight when you strike the bar to reduce vibration that could cause unwanted damage to the camera. Try to attach the 550EX after a few strikes before bend the hot shoe back a little more. You should be able the fix the hot shoe in less than 30 minutes. You could also cut a stack of 1/4" wide paper strips and put undetenath the hot shoe to prevent it goes too far down. If you want to bring the black paint back to look as new, please let me know.

thanks Phillip and Bob, you give me great hope (Bob, that's a great link). I've used Canon and may on this one too, but I've a short time frame before the vacation. I'm going to try fingers one more time with Philip's suggestion of putting paper underneath, then off to search for a small enough pliers before thinking about Phillip's idea. The thought of endangering the camera at all gives me pause. I can manage without a reliable flash on the trip, can't without the 10D if I misstep.

Giampi, i've read that the black plate over the contacts can come off and that there are screws underneath to remove the hot shoe, but i've been unable to pry off the black plate myself. any ideas anyone?

You can only apply force with a plier. However, if you try to straighten by a plier, the hot shoe could turn worse. For such a small but relatively strong metal, you need to use torque, not force, by striking with a hammer separate by a wooden bar. I've been repairing small, delicate, electronic equipments since 1970. I have a set of specail hammers that can fix it quickly. I suggested using the wooden bar instead because I don't think you have the tools. I did try to remove the hot shoe of an Elan 7 for my friend but couldn't find the service manual. Yes, there is a way to remove the hot shoe, but I don't think you should try without instruction.

thanks phillip. you're right, don't have the tools. i may work up the courage to try your idea -- i'm sure yours will work in competent hands. that is the issue. the competent hands, not the idea.

I have used a method similar to what Phillip suggests to straighten the hot shoe on a Kodak DCS 520 which has a Canon 1n body mounted to a digital back. The Canon hotshoe material is quite soft compared to many other cameras and bends out of and back into shape quite easily.

The camera and hotshoe worked perfectly after being straightened.

I always figure that if I can't fix things with my trusty sledge hammer and or roll of duct tape, perhaps I shouldn't be screwing with it.

If it were me, I would only consider sending it to Canon for repairs. My 10D is my pride and joy, and the notion of taking pliers and hammers to it sends a cold chill down my spine :) Good luck, Joe

• 2 months later...
I tried with pliers to repair it, but it could not be done, and i bent it out of shape and peeled off paint to boot. i sent it to canon's irvine facility with a note about all that had happened, fully prepared to pay for the repair although it was arbuably broken within normal use and within my warranty. They very graciously repaired it by putting on a new hot shoe without charging me a dime, and it now works like a charm.