Canon Rebate Program needs changing

dave92029

I believe that historicly, Canon has run a rebate program twice each year.

What I don't understand is why it appears to be managed so poorly, at least my

participation has not provided me with a positive feeling towards Canon.

In order to check status a customer is required to find and click on 4

different links to find the sign on page. Is Canon trying to hide this feature?

I went to canon's web page and registered my purchases and received a tracking

ID.

Then I sent my package (purchased three L series lens) via USPS with a receipt

request. The receipt was signed on 7/8/06 yet Canon's status page does not

reflect receipt. Since the pre-registration process results in a bar code id

it appear that all they have to do is scan the bar code to update their

status.

The internet has spoiled us and made us expect instant real time respose to

most things and Canon generally advertises that they are a modern company with

advanced technology, so why is their customer service/ rebate program back in

the dark ages (they claim a 60 day response time)?

What purpose does it serve Canon to run rebate programs (on most of their

products) that is so arkward and slow that it leaves their customers with the

feeling that Canon is not trying to live up to their end of the purchase

agreement?

Canon's rebate programs is really bad, especially since it is a regular

feature offered on most of their products. The problem is the rebates provide

a significant price discount.

Auto Mfg. allow their dealers to provide their rebates at the point of sale

and so should Canon. Canon should not make their customers jump through so

many hoops to obtain their price discount. Let the dealers administer the

discount and give the customer a positive feeling towars Canon. This might

also save Canon money adminsitratively.

companies outsource their rebate programs to outside firms that specialize in rebates. some of these firms advertise based on how *low* their rebate payout rates are. it should be no surprise that some of them are stingy bastards where every bit of paperwork mysteriously gets lost; it certainly would be no surprise to Canon.

at this point, everyone should know what they're getting with the rebate, and that they'll have to work for it and keep very detailed records if they want their money.

My vendor handed me a sheet of paper to fill out, and I just followed the instructions, which were to include the bill(s) and cut out the original barcode for each product from the box, and the fully-filled-out sheet of paper, and mail the package with the appropriate address/'to' info.

Was I supposed to register something somewhere? All's I have now is photocopies of my bills, and big holes in my boxes!

I hope I didn't screw up (is it the same with Canon Canada even?). Half the reason I bought the ST-E2 was to get the money back...

Shawn

Is it not obvious that rebate programs are evil? Why would any consumer *Want* to get into the hassle involved? Why does the company not just reduce the price? (Don't answer that!) Personally, I refuse to buy anything with a rebate.

You can pre-register or pre-qualify online before mailing in your rebate forms. This is optional, but what it does is it creates a webpage where you can track the progress of your rebate(s). I did this, and so far it's been going smoothly.

On 6/27, I pre-qualified and got an e-mail with the link to the webpage. I mailed in the forms for rebates totalling $80.

On 7/8, I got another e-mail saying that they've received my rebate forms and are processing them, saying it could take up to two weeks. The webpage got updated accordingly.

On 7/19, I got another e-mail saying that the rebates were approved and that I'd get the check within 8 weeks.

No complaints so far from my end! This is going as smoothly as a rebate process can (well, other than the Staples online rebates, where you don't have to mail in anything but just enter the info on a website).

No problems with my 5D rebate. I did get the second e-mail confirmation that's mentioned above, but the check itself arrived a couple of days later. I think Canon made its self-imposed 60 day deadline, but just barely. Perhaps Canon should be more customer friendly as Dave Mishalof recommends. But so long as there are folks like me, drooling on their shoes as they wait for Canon's latest great product to become affordble, be it via a rebate or because of the market, not much is likely to change.

Rebates are designed to encourage sales but historically have tended to enough of a

hassle to keep the stupid and lazy from reaping their reward. This is surely by design.

Methinks life in general is that way. Ain't it so unfair? (slob, whine 'n whimper).

I bought a 5D, BG-E4 and 24-105 at the beginning of Apirl, pre-qualified, submitted the

paperwork and received a check for $360 almost exactly 2 months later. It

worked as advertised and I knew what I was getting into. I'd like the IRS to speed up my

refund too but in the long run it doesn't matter. I'm a busy guy and there are more

important things to

whine about. I would have bought the gear with or with out the rebate. My postive feelings

about Canon are based solely on product design, performance and Service Center

interaction (I give them an A-). I couldn't care much less about their silly rebate program.

It ain't even a blip on my screen.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Mendel - I recall very distinctly being surprised when the paper said for me to send to Canon CANADA, and the reason I was surprised was that I do recall at least once someone from these boards, living in Canada, dealing with their rebate through Canon US, to a positive end. If you didn't buy gray market, it's not quite time to give up yet:)

Shawn http://www.shawngibson.com/

Shawn, I bought the "USA" version of all, at B&H. Yeah, I'll wait to see what Canon (canada) says. B&H included the rebate documents in the shipment, fwiw. I'd like to get something from Canon confirming, one way or the other, before I start chopping bits out of boxes. They've aknowledged receipt of my email and say they'll respond within 24 hours.

2 things tipped me off. First, when I went to pre-register my rebate claim, the only addressing options are the US states. And then when I read the terms and conditions on the rebate clain form, I see:

"Rebate check will be mailed to a street address in the fifty states, etc etc"

I've already saved quite a bit over Canadian retail prices, and avoided provincial sales tax on the lens I got, but not on a camera. Funny customs!

So, keeping my fingers crossed. I'll just have to console myself by going out and taking some pictures with my new camera and lens ;D

Contribution from the UK : I have just checked the status of my 5D and 17-40 cashback claims. Canon say on their submission status page of their website that they have no knowledge of my cashback claims! I not only have knowledge of my claims but copies of everything so will be pursuing them diligently. Watch this space.

I've emailed them back, saying I think it's unfair, blah, blah, etc.

On the assumtion they're not going to budge, big favour request:

Would someone be willing to allow myself and Colin to use their US street address? I could mail a stamped and self-addressed envelope, to reduce the hassle.

I just checked the rebate status from their website and found

"An original qualifying UPC was not included".

I do not know what they want me to do. I cut the UPC bar code from the box, stapled it together with other forms and sent in one envelope. It is a $100 rebate for Rebel XT, I am confident I followed every details.

If they insist, where on earth do I get another original UPC for them?

I searched the web and found Canon has very bad reputation for their rebate, I am kid of regret I bought something from Canon...

The rebate form said that you need to send the "original UPC code and body or lens serial number cut-out from product box(es)." Note that means TWO barcode-type labels (one for UPC and one for SN). Is it possible that you sent in one or the other, but not both? I'm just asking.

When I was filling out my rebate form, I originally just enclosed the UPC label from my two qualifying lenses. Ooops. Good thing I re-read the instructions. I cut out the SN labels, and taped them next to the UPC labels. My status says that a check was mailed out to me 5 days ago. Assuming I get it this week, the total time between my mailing in the rebates and the check arriving will have been just five weeks.

If the rebate was the determining factor in your purchasing the Digital Rebel XT--well, at least you still have a superb camera.

I don't know that Canon has a worse reputation than any other mail-rebaters. If the 99% of rebates are honored and 1% disqualified, that 1% will make up 99% of the rebate feedbacks you read on the web.

I pre-registered, the three lens purchases, and sent my paperwork in on June 30, 2006. No e-mail acknowledgement, no acknowledgement on the rebate status web page...Nothing. When I contact Canon they say it can take 8 weeks and I just have to wait 8 weeks for the rebate center to admitt that they lost my paperwork. I know that they lost my paperwork because I have a signed receipt from the US Post Office proving that they received it, but Canon will do nothing to assist me. This sucks!

last time, I called their rebate service center a few days after the package was received (registered, signature return) but hadn't been updated on the tracking website. It changed to "received" the next day. They clearly have a circular file for the people who don't complain...