Will the M8 (or Md) be available in black paint and titanium finish?

Most discussions on this forum concern the more tecnical specifications of the

forthcoming digital leica M.

Leica recently announced that M-lenses could be upgraded with a code for use

on the digital M.

It seems clear that it will make sense to upgrade lenses with Leica's normal

black finish, since they will fit the digital M also cosmetically.

But how about lenses in black paint and titanium finish and in chrome?

Does anybody know whether Leica will offer the digital M camera in any of

those finishes, and whether Leica will do it from the beginning or only later?

You see Michael, your post appears trivial to people, at least until they've bought one and start realizing that it really doesn't look as good as their good old chrome or titanium film classic. You are about 1 year ahead of your time.

<I>"your post appears trivial to people..."</I>

<P>

No, some day I'll be rich, but until then poking at those able to worry about such things is all that's left.

<P>

BTW if and when I <I>do</I> get to that point, my first order of business will be to order up an a la carte BP digital M and then have it converted to use only film.

I'm embarrassed by the lack of humor in what follows, and the effort to actually reply to the

original question, but I've pre-ordered from a US dealer, and the last time I talked to him he

asked me if I preferred black or chrome, or would take whatever came in...

JC

The body should be cheap black plastic so everyone can get one within reason and when the technology becomes outdated toss it in the trash. High end ornate durable camera bodies made sense where the tech never changed, but no longer in a digital world.

The Canon 5D has 12mp and full-frame and costs $2500 after the current rebate. And it has a metal body. I doubt that anyone who buys an M8 one will think of it as obsolete until Leica makes an M9 which might not be for many years if ever, given that if current technology was the standard, it's already obsolete.

Vivek Iyer - "I hope it is a polycarbonate body with the possibility to change the cover colors. Just like the mobile phones."

Oh, it's much, much better than that.

Buoyed by the success of their custom order site "Leica à la carte", Leica has decided to take customization to a new height in M8. It is the first Leica product to feature "Leica à la mode".

Each camera comes with a complete assortment of interchangeable knobs and buttons in different colors and surface feels. But that's only the tip of the iceberg. "Leica à la mode" cameras feature active noise cancellation shutters. When you trigger the shutter, two well concealed speakers on the camera emit a recording of the camera's shutter, exactly 180 degrees out of phase with the original shutter. These out of phase waves cancel out the camera's shutter sound. You can choose to use the camera in this virtually silent mode, or you can select a variety of classic camera recordings from the on board library to be played through the concealed speakers. This includes any M, LTM, or R model, as well as collectible Nikon F and Kodak models. You can also upload you own shutter sound.

But the best "Leica à la mode" feature is the camera's wrap. Based on the flexible LCD technology that Polaroid pioneered in the mid 80's, the "Leica à la mode" camera skin can assume any color or texture. Pick green lizard skin from the menu as easily as pink human skin. Have your face photographed and upload the portion that would normally be concealed behind the camera, and the camera will virtually vanish as you hold it up to your face. Take a picture of your favorite spot to set the camera down, and you may never find it again...