Zeiss ZF 50mm f1.4 Received

bill a.

Got mine today, from Cameraquest. Build quality seems very nice...

heavy.... feels like my Nikon 50 1.2 in weight.

Unfortunately, I don't have a DSLR body to try it on and post...

will have to wait to burn a roll and scan. Anyone else get theirs,

and started the obligatory comparison to their other 50's?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Bill - I'm very much interested in seeing the results from this lens, particularly the out of focus highlights. If you do end up doing a test, could you include some backgrounds that might be considered "tough" for lenses to render well (sunlight through tree leaves, ect)?

ok Bill keep us posted! We are glued to your next remarks! This 50mm is not auto focus, correct? Let us know how sharp it is. My wallet is bursting at the first sound of positive results! I will be RACING to get one!

Good luck with your new toy!

Bob

Plan will be to shoot a single roll, subject matter shot with a couple of the 50's against the Zeiss... 1.2 and 1.8 seem to hold the most interest... the 1.4 as well? Some of my wifes flowers are finally starting to bloom here in New England. One person also suggested a tough shot into the sunny leaves... any others?

I'll have the roll developed and I can scan at home (LS4000ED)

My personal interest is to hopefully get the same pop, same 3D effect that I see in images taken with my Contax G2 and 45mm Planar.

Should I just post the full scans and a selected area blow-up for detail?

"One person also suggested a tough shot into the sunny leaves."

Actually, I was suggesting more that you keep the sunny leaves behind an in-focus subject, so that we can get an example of a pretty tough bokeh scenario. :)

If you need a place to post full resolution full size images, I have a pro smugmug account meaning I have unlimited bandwidth so I'd volunteer that if you need it. I'm very curious to see how it compares to the 50 1.2 because if it's noticeably better at 1.4 than the 50 1.2 is at 1.4 then I'm going to get it.

Ilkka, I'm 400 miles away from it right now, but if memory serves the manual focus feel is great. One thing I like about it that it's a lot of turning, i.e. you can make very precise adjustments with it since turning it by a given amount only changes the focusing distance a little. But also, it's solid, smooth, and doesn't wobble.

Sounds good. Now if Zeiss would bring out the 28/2 (I assume that was one of the illustrated unnamed ZF lenses) and a 14 DX which Nikon seems incapable of / unwilling to, I would be most pleased.

Now I need to find a focusing screen for the D200 which shows the difference between f/1.4 and f/2.8, the factory one doesn't seem to. Which makes manual focusing of fast lenses hard (and obviously autofocus doesn't really work well with 3D subjects and this little depth of field).

Yes, unlike the Nikon 50's that move through their entire focus range in 1/4 to 1/3 turn, the ZF goes 3/4 of a complete revolution to move through its range. Very smooth feel out of the box. The texture of the focus ring is grooved metal, and not rubber. The lens cap has recessed tabs to release, so you do not have to remove the hood to get the cap on and off (58mm front, not 52mm).

I have a roll through the camera.... scanning now.