Polarizer for a TLR?

andre_reinders

its a good question, I was thinking about that myself and the only idea I got is to use 2 polarizers and connect them by a rubber belt or something similar, maybe that works and as the size is very small the 2 polas will not cost more than a single big one

<P>Most regular screw-in polarizers have a white mark on the outer ring so you can note the orientation of the polarizer. I use a Hoya 49mm polarizer on my Yashica-mat, attached via a Bay 1-49mm step-up ring. I fit it on the viewing lens, turn until desired result is obtained, note position of white mark, refit on taking lens, place white mark at same point, take photo. One has to estimate the exposure compensation for the polarizer of course.</P><P>I don't know what the filter fitting is on your Mamiyaflex but you get the idea.</P>

....The trick is figuring out the metering for the scene because the filter factor varies with rotation.....<br>

Sorry, but I dont believe that, only some parts of the image change, if there was a change in factor all parts would change

My experience is that the filter factor is the same regardless of orientation of the polarizer. I use two stops for the filters I have. BTW, I use the same procedure for my TLR and rangefinders - make a reference mark for where the filter stops when mounted on the lens, hold it to my eye in the same orientation, note the position of the rotating glass, then put on the taking lens.

I'm not sure if any were made that fit your Mamiyaflex C lenses, but there were a few (relatively rare) double geared polarizers for TLRs. I have one for my Minolta Autocord (Minolta Autopole) which Dante Stella has picture of his site:

http://www.dantestella.com/technical/autocord.html

Those are very convenient.

I don't have a good solution for my Rolleiflex 3.5E or Mamiya C33 (the Autopole does not fit, it is "Bay I" size. With those cameras, I just use a regular polarizer adapter with a step-up ring (C33, or + Bay II / 49mm adapter for the 3.5E). I don't have a one with markings like the previous posters, but I don't use polarizers with those cameras very often anyway. I just look through it with my eye before attaching and make note of the orientation I want. I have a polarizer with enough nicks and scrapes so I can judge it's orientation, however I'm sure there would be ways to mark it if you had a clean one.

For Kodak folders; Kodak 35mm; Kodak ektars on 4x5 cameras; movie cameras; large view cameras; process cameras; copy cameras; one uses the Kodak Pola-Screens and Kodak Pola-screen viewer. These are polazisers with a wand deal/pointer; and a hand viewer oriented the same way. These once came in six different series sizes; custom ones for movie cameras; and 3x3 filter sizes and 4x4; for a rotating large holders. These were once made even for 8x10 camera lenses; the Kodak TLR; down to the 8mm cine Kodaks.