What to do??

janet cull

I have a few cameras, but my Nikon FG is the one I like using on-the-run and most often. The rewind arm

broke off and I've sent it to the repairman I use. He said he can fix that for 20 bucks, but the light seal is

also going bad (can fix that also for $65 altogether). he said the shutter is going bad and there's no way

to know how long it will last. He said when he released the shutter that about twice out of 50 shots, it

didn't release. I've not really had a problem with that. HE can fix it all for $129.

I trust him!

Here's the question. I've had no problems because of the going-bad light seal, but there is lots of fuzzy

gunk on the mirror (which, of course, doesn't show on images). I'd like that cleaned up. But I also never

have shutter failure. Maybe 2 frames out of *lots* of rolls of film have shown blank. Maybe. I'm not even

positive, though seems I remember that once.

He says if the attempt at cla'ing the shutter doesn't work, then I have no camera and no charges. If money

were "no issue" I'd just buy something better, but that's not the case.

Seems simple since I'm putting it in writing. I sent it for a rewind thingy - maybe I'll just get that. And

maybe the light seal? Now I don't know again.

Help?

Hey there Janet, if the light seals are gone get a do it yourself kit including instructions, it's not too hard. The kit costs about $10 and gives you enough materials and know how to do about 5 cameras easily. You get the kit from Jon Goodman whose ebay alias is "interslice". Here's his email: jgood21967@aol.com

Doubt whether you can clean the mirror easily, I'd leave it.

Get your repairman to put a new arm on the rewind for $20.

Then if the shutter fails often get rid of the camera!

Alternatively, use one of your other cameras.....

Cheers.

I would've tossed the camera. You can get a chrome FG body in EX+ from keh.com for $116. Or a black on in EX condition for $125. That comes with a no-questions-asked 14-day return policy.\

Since you already sent it in for the rewind arm, the light seals wuld be easy to fix -- just go to Michael's, and pick up some "foamies" and glue it in. But if the shutter is going bad, then IMO an FG is not worth fixing.

KL

Janet -

I still keep an FG as a backup for my FM3A. It has a few intermitent problems, but they are not catistrophic (maybe a couple frames every roll messed up). I've never bothered getting it repaired because it is not my primary camera. But I have kept it around because I think it is a nice little camera. (If it sounds like I'm a little conflicted, well...)

If the FG was my primary camera I would probably pay for some repairs. However, I wouldn't pay more than the camera is worth. KEH has an EX+ grade FG for $115, so I wouldn't pay more than that.

Thanks, guys. I decided to get the rewind arm fixed, and when it all goes bad I'll buy a Nikon

something-or-other. Then I'll be asking you all - which one? :o)

I know the FG is a simple little nothing of a camera, but it has performed so well for me.

Most of the images I get that I love, came through that little camera.

Thanks again.

Janet:

My son has an FG that he really likes/liked due to the small size & ease of use.

However - he has done the same as you - broken rewind lever - metering issues - he shoots a lot - so with that said - it's a great camera for the occasional shooter but it sounds like you are a serious shooter & go through a number of frames.

I am going to suggest a clean F3 or an FE/FE2 as the next one.

Good luck