Remote operation of camera controls

Wow! My first post after reading photo.net for a good long while.

I'm having a hard time finding a digital camera capable of remote operation directly

connected to a computer.

Been using a Sony DSC-F717 for a good while in our woodshop to record works in

progress. At the end of the day I collect all the images, archive them, and save a copy with

each job's file, and send to the customer. This would be wonderful to automate, and I can

write the controller software (then the file names and other details can be automated as

well). What I need is a camera that is tolerant of a dusty environment so I can permanently

mount it in the shop and is also friendly to remote controlling.

Specification sheets for high end cameras and backs reveal if remote operation is

available, but I never see this on consumer-grade cameras. Since I plan on having several

photo stations optimized for each operation, professional grade cameras are not pracitcal

for my budget. The 5 megapixel resolution of the Sony has been great, and I think 3 or 4

megapixels would be adequate for this situation.

Any ideas of camera makes/models that might suit my somewhat bizzare needs? Also, is

there an industry standard term to describe the remote operation I'm describing?

<a href="http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/a80/">This review of the A80 </a> doesn't give specs or infomration about remote control. <a href="http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canona70/">This review of the A70</a> indicates there is no remote control. <p>

Are you controlling image capture and zoom remotely? Are you using software that came with the camera or something else?<p>

Thanks again for any insight.

The Canons can be operated by the computer when the camera is connected via the usb cable and the camera is set for review, not shooting. The software that came with the cam has remote capture.

I didn't mean wireless remote control, perhaps I should have been more clear.

I use a usb 10' extension cable + the 4' that came with the cam so I can set the cam away from the computer. You can control all settings and trip the shutter from the computer and see what the camera sees on the monitor. The pic is immediately downloaded onto the computer and is not recorded onto the cf card.

My A80 has it and the A70 I used to have has it too.

Thank you, Ben. That is the sort of information I was looking for. By remote operation I did mean to control via a computer as you describe. I have been readong digital camera reviews for a few days now, and I've only found this functionality described on the high end stuff. Wonder why this useful feature is rarely mentioned.

Thanks again!

You're welcome. It probably isn't mentioned because the reviewers don't know what it is or they don't consider it important. I think it's an incredibly useful feature.

Digital cameras, especially the consumer models, don't take kindly to dusty environments. You might look into a waterproof housing. I think there's one for the A series Canons. Don't know who makes it. Even a clear plastic bag over the camera would be better than nothing. Perhaps a filter rigged up to the bag and placed over the lens wouldn't distort the picture. Just a thought.