Good Nikon Film Body

buckslip

Hi, I recently bought a Nikon D70 with kit lens (18-70) and a 80-200

2.8 ED. I would like to get a reasonably-priced used Nikon film body

as backup, can anyone recommend a model that would be similar (I know

you can't really compare) to the D70 in terms of features? I'm new to

Nikon and not too familiar with the models.

Thanks, Piers

A used F100 at around $500 would be a good choice. If you want something cheaper and new, the N80/F80 would work too. The N80 is very similar to the D70 and shares a lot of the same pros and cons.

However, keep in mind that you need to buy and carry film for this backup body or it wouldn't be very useful :-). If you don't use it much, the film will eventually expire and will still cost you money.

The 18-70 won't work properly with any of the film bodies (it's designed for the smaller image circle of the digital bodies; the 28-105 is the nearest equivalent if you want to shoot 35mm). Falling prices have made almost all the Nikon film bodies 'affordable' on the secondhand market - even an F5 in good condition is not much more expensive than a new D70. The F80 (US 'N80') is quite close to the D70 - it lacks the RGB meter and some flash features, but has a better viewfinder (plus a grip option, etc.). The F100 is a very worthwhile step up from the F80 (excellent viewfinder, build quality and AF speed/sensitivity) and well-priced secondhand - this would be my choice. The F75/N75 is a step down from the F80 (no sub-command dial or manual ISO control, etc.). Most older Nikons have a rather different interface to the D70 and reduced compatibility with recent lens features, but could be worth considering if you spot a bargain (there are some good deals on the F90(x)/N90(s), originally a (semi) pro model like the F100).

If it is only going to be a backup body that you will seldom use, then as nice as the F100 is (I own one), a used F/N80 is probably going to fulfill your needs just fine for far less money.

You 18~70DX kit lens will "work" on the N80, but according to Bjorn Rorslett's tests it will vignette at *all* settings. You might want to factor in the cost of an additional lens, such as a used 28~70 f/3.5-4.5D (about $140 at KEH) to cover the wide end on your backup film body.

A new F100 is pretty close to the price of a D70. The F100 is a great camera and it will spoil you compared to the AF that's used on the D70. Note the problem listed above with the 18-70 but the 80-200 will work just fine.

Personally I don't think I've ever used 1/8000 shutter speed - anybody else? Just to throw another one out there, the N8008s was the predecessor to the N90s. Used ones go for next to nothing but you still have 1/250 flash sync - and the 1/8000 top shutter speed. You could get one of these (or possibly an N90s) and a decent lens like the 28-105 for the price of a good used F100.

I've owned the N80, and liked it, but it was quickly sold when I bought the F5. Haven't held the F100, but from what people tell me it's the F5 without the grip.

Definatly go one of those two pro models.

Bought and own two F5's from the auction site in Excellent condition for $750 on average. Will eventually purchase a third one from Keh.

Keh.com has plenty of F100's at very reasonable pices.

Be careful of the F5, the power is addicting! If you fire off 8fps at a moving target you may never pick up the D70 again! At $750 a pop, these are the greatest cameras in the world at near disposable prices! Ridiculously under-value!

Andy, the "New F100" was just a guess where the idea came up that a D70 was the same price. Used 35mm cameras are dirt cheap for anything you want other than an F6, Leicas or collector items. I'd definately recommend used unless there's some really important reason that a new one is needed. On a good day, you could get a used F100, N90s and N8008s in decent shape for the price of new F100 by itself.

Note that the F100 has the five-point AF like on the D70 but the N90s and N8008s (as well as their non 's' versions) do not. If you're used to using it (and it will be much better than on a D70) you may want to stick with an F100. Of course the N80 has it too which is probably the closest film camera to the D70 - but the F100 is so much of an improvement in this regard.

Like anything else, it really comes down to what you need, what you want, and how much you're willing to spend.