Noctilux - What's Going On?

A high close is one thing; actually getting the money is another challenge. The guy down the street could have offered to buy it offering less hassle/fees - that happens here. He could have dropped it. Could have decided to keep it. Felt he wouldn\'t get enough for it.

I must be out-of-touch with e*ay. I used to sell a lot there, and will start up again, now that I have a new computer that doesn't block access to my photo posting space! Maybe the "rules" have changed, but sellers weren't allowed to pull an item once it received its first bid...and definitely NOT because they don't like the bidding levels ('Reserve Prices' are designed to handle that).

Must have been quite an error!

--Dave

"Maybe the "rules" have changed, but sellers weren't allowed to pull an item once it received its first bid...and definitely NOT because they don't like the bidding levels ('Reserve Prices' are designed to handle that)."

This is very naive. Sellers do it all the time. Who would enforce this rule? The same people who monitor eBay listings for scammers? or counterfeit goods? The only guarantee from eBay is that they will take their cut. Otherwise, you're on your own.

"One of the many reasons those of us who're used to dealing with legitimate auction houses

have utter contempt for eBay."

Given their meteoric rise in trading volume and stock price, I bet they lose alot of sleep over

you and your pals "utter contempt" ;-)

My recollection of this auction -

1. it was list for a 10-day auction

2. about 15 bids were placed during that period

3. a last high bid of $2000 seems to reflect a fair price

4. it was pulled hours just before it was due to end

5. reason given 'there was an error in listing'.

The right to end the auction aside (no contention here), do the circumstances irresistibly lead to cast some doubts on the seller's honest integrity on his timing of pulling out the item? Not for a deadbeat bid in this case. Nor for any error in the listing. You make your own conclusion. Typically bidders are all taken for a roller-coaster ride. They all have to wait a little longer to add that elusive Noctilux in their camera bag.

I once pulled a Leicflex SL case near the end because I had advertised it as in very good condition and then discovered that some of the stitching was deteriorating even though the leather was in very good condition. Didn't want to amend the description that late or wind up with bad feedback. Still have the case.

Wow. You need a different image of the other guy on ebay. He\'s a fifty year-old fat guy with a Bud in his hand at 6am sitting naked on an upside-down bucket at his keyboard on a cardboard box in the middle of a sixty-foot dubbawide that\'s bare empty because his wife took off last week.

There\'s more honor at a truckstop.