RD-1s On the Job

Alex_Es

Yesterday, Sunday, was Open Campus at my university and (oh joy of joys) I had

to work. I shot the English department's activities with the RD-1s and the

school's Pentax istD. Then I gave a mini-lecture on W. Somerset Maugham's short

story "A Friend in Need," which is set in Kobe. After lunch I went to my office

and Photoshopped the the stuff I had shot. A few hours later it was all done on

a CD disk.

I compare this to shooting "The Taming of the Shrew" with my Leicas in May.

Having the film processed and scanning the lot was a major chore (am still at

it). The paperwork for all that was another major chore.

This job was a piece of cake thanks to digital photography.

The Shakespeare stuff is neatly archived in film. It's fate is more secure for

the next century than what I shot yesterday. But digital is so each and cheap.

Film vs digital? I want film to survive. It will. But for cranking out stuff

in a hurry digital is great.<div>00HJhu-31218284.jpg.4448afebf5175bc0a533df874f377cfe.jpg</div>

After having only scanned and cleaned only 3 images of the first roll of Neopan 1600, that I shot at a Sundanese Islamic wedding in Indonesia a few weeks ago, that for some reason had so much dust stuck to it, things like this do start to sound tempting. but... I have to keep telling myself that I still have some 800 rolls of Ilford film in a freeze.

<p>

Hi Craig!

I still have shots of your visit that I need to scan and put share in Gallery. Wish I had the RD-1s then.

There are drawback to this creature.

It eats battery energy like dingo. I am afraid to take it to Europe. Even with a converter I'd worry about frying the battery while recharging. (Okay, I'm worry wart; I am also still alive.)

It's hard to do anything wide-angle with it. Using a 16mm fisheye like a 21mm lens is not entirely satisfactory. As you said when you visited, if you pay good money for a 21mm lens and the digital camera turns it into what would be a 32mm lens you are not going to be happy at all.

Compared to my (school's) much cheaper Pentax istD, the RD-1s is--well--not primitive but like a sports car compared to a comfortable station wagon.

I love the RD-1s because it is quiet. It is light. I can instantly test any lens I have or want to buy. I can have instant results. I can save money on film. I can save time.

But in the midst of my adoration of the RD-1s, in spite of its drawbacks, I am convinced of one thing.

Film is here to stay. At least in our lifetimes. The simplicity of film cameras, their wild angle abilities, their ruggedness, their ability to not be outdated like computers and digital cameras, and their sheer aesthetic pleasure will keep film alive.

I love digital photography. But suddenly I have this mad desire to learn how to develope black and white film!

Cheers,

Alex

"It eats battery energy like dingo. I am afraid to take it to Europe. Even with a converter I'd worry about frying the battery while recharging. (Okay, I'm worry wart; I am also still alive.) "

Alex,

There is no problem with the standard Epson charger (Model: A281H) for the R-D1 in Europe. You will not fry your batteries. It is specified for voltages from 100 - 240 50/60hz to make it universal for the US & Europe. Voltage in EC countries is standardised at 230V. You will though need a different plug/s depending on the country your in or a multi adapter. Replacement leads with plugs are fairly easily and cheaply obtainable from electrical stores.

Jim

Torben, I got the RD-1s new at Bic Camera in Shinjuku for about $2,050. They had to bring it in the same day from another store in Tokyo. Alex is right, they're not easy to find, aside from demo models. The RD-1 was cheaper, but then there wasn't a free firmware upgrade available--not that I knew of.