D80 Preview Up

wogears

The 18-200mm AF-S VR is also f5.6 on the long end, and there is so much demand that some people are paying over the recommended $750 price for it and the waiting list is a mile long. At least IMO, that is no worse than Cosina making a 50mm/f1.4 with no CPU, no AF and then charge over $600 mainly because there is a Zeiss logo on it.

Folks, companies such as Canon, Cosina, Nikon, Sony, Zeiss ... are there to make money. As long as someone is willing to manufacture it and someone is willing to buy it, and it is neither illegal nor unethical, I don't see what the problem is. I am not interested in the D80, any 18-200 or Zeiss ZF 50mm/1.4, but their existance doesn't bother me for a second.

Note that price is comparable to the 70-300 IS USM from Canon, the most comparable lens. The only other similar lens, the 80-300 IS USM DO from Canon is about twice the price (Although more lens).

And the Nikon is true AF-S, IIRC Canon 70-300 IS USM is micro-motor USM, like the 18-55 DX and 55-200 DX.

Shun, there's not 70-300 ED now. This new VR marvel was supposed to replace that one. Instead, they moved it out of reach for most amateurs. Why screw around (excuse me) with an f/5.6 lens if you can get an 80-200/2.8 AFD / 100-300/4 HSM (Sigma) for less? (both of these are pro-quality lenses)

Yes i agree with Umit, the gap or the need that this lens is adressing are people who are looking for VR feature and dont want to move around with a tripod a lot.

I was thinking of getting the 80-400mmVR, but now thinking of this because of the AFS and the IF feature,

Rafik

There is a 70-300 ED for about $300 or so but there is no way I'd buy it because it has only one ED element and this won't make much if any difference. A proper ED or APO zoom should have four ED elements to make the kind of corrections ED lenses are supposed to make.