4GB CF card OK for Digital Rebel XT?

Personally and professiobnally I think it's safer to have several 1 or 2GB CF cards rather than one huge one -- spread the potential risk around a little rather than committing many hundreds of photos to one giant CF card.

My conservative two cents... but best of luck! -Ken

Hi, I had a rebel XT last year an tried to use a sandisk 4GB CF type 2 card with it and it wouldnt work. It only works when set to 2GB mode. the 4GB cards can be switched from file systems in order to work in different cameras. FAT32 is the file system needed to make the card work as a 4GB card but the rebel XT wont handle this file system. Sure you can buy a 4GB card and it will work in an XT as I have done it, but it wont work as a 4GB card. It will only work as a 2GB card. Hope this helps.

Ian Travell: you don't know what you are talking about. Are you sure you didn't try to put a

CF card in a film Rebel? :p

The FAT32 filesystem is the

replacement for the previous FAT16 format which allowed a maximum partition size of

2GB. The RebelXT as previously stated can address cards over 2GB so it MUST be using the

FAT32 filesystem (or it would be creating 2x 2GB partitions). The card can be partitioned

and formatted in camera (recommended) or via Windows/Mac OS X (not recommended). In

fact, the CF upper limit with FAT32 aware digital cameras is likely to be 32GB. For some

strange reason that is the largest partition size you can format in later versions of

Windows, even though you can technically have much bigger FAT32 partitions (I had

160GB hard drive that was 1x FAT32 partition as my backup drive) and Windows/OS X can

read/write these no problem.