Difference between Mamiya 7 and 7II

daniel_murphy1

John, thanks for the link to the Duncan Ross article. I must point out though in the interests of mis-information that the exposure compensation dial can be used in manual mode, as many people have written saying it doesn't.

Although it seems odd that it should work in manual it's great for shooting with a filter in manual without having to manually compensate. The thing that strikes me as funny is that the instruction manual states the exp-comp works in manual, despite many owners thinking otherwise!

The way I understand it, it doesn't really work in manual mode. It only effects the metering. The exposure compensation doesn't change either the speed or the aperture. For example, using an external meter and setting the results on the camera, you will get the same result no matter what the exposure compensation is set to. Is this correct?

Well, although my Mamiya 7II instruction booklet states on page 33 that filter compensation in AE or manual mode can be accomplished using the exposure compensation dial, it does not work in practice. Here is a quick test I just performed on my camera loaded with film: I set the multiple exposure button to Multi, kept the lens cap on, set the aperture dial to f22, set the speed dial to 1/2 second, and kept the compensation dial to zero, just to make sure I could hear the 1/2 second sound interval of the shutter opening and closing. I then set the compensation dial to +2, so I should have heard two clicks at a two second interval? Except that I still had the 1/2 second shutter click interval... No change! Same thing when setting the comp dial to -2, no change in shutter click interval.

If the camera is not loaded, the experiment can be performed with the back open, lens cap removed, and aperture set to the maximum for better visibility of the shutter opening and closing.

So as far as I am concerned, the exposure compensation dial has no effect when the camera is in manual mode, regardless of what is stated in the instruction booklet.

I think there is confusion here between the effect of exposure compensation on the meter reading and the effect on the exposure.

On a Mamiya 7II the exposure compensation dial affects the meter reading. If a scene with no compensation meters at f11 and 1/30 and you apply a +2 stop compensation, then either in manual or auto mode the reading goes to 1/8. In manual mode it will also show the shutter speed set, but that's not relevent here.

Now, if I have the camera set to auto I'm letting the meter determine the exposure. Therefore the meter reading sets the exposure, and the reading may be taking into account a compensation. Indirectly this means that any compensation set helps establish the exposure because it is used by the meter. See it as a chain- Compensation affects meter which determines exposure.

On the other hand if you set exposure manually you are voting not to let the meter set the exposure. You have to do it yourself. The camera will use any speed/aperture combination you make, right or wrong. If you meter and apply a compensation the camera will advise you what to set, after the compensation. But it won't set it on the camera it for you because the meter is not determining the exposure used, you are. Sounds fair enough for a manual mode, yes?

So who's right? Well anyone who sets a compensation in manual mode then takes a meter reading and assumes that the setting recommended by the meter doesn't take into account the compensation is going to get a surprise. More obviously, anyone who sets the camera to manual, takes a reading and assumes that the camera will set that reading is going to get a surprise. And anyone that sets the camera to manual with a compensation, takes a reading and then works out what the setting should have been without the compensation (because the compensation doesn't work in manual, right?) is just downright perverse!