Ancient Leitz factory in Wetzlar

The shutter testing depicted in that little movie clip is described here.....

"The timing of the fast range of the shutter is carried out with the aid of a stroboscope of somewhat antique design. By means of this the 1/200, 1/500 and the 1/1000 speeds are checked. The stroboscope consists of a revolving drum placed horizontally, with 33 horizontal slits in its surface, illuminated from inside by a lamp of approximately 20 watts. The drum is driven by a belt from an electric motor which may be controlled by a rheostat. The drum is also coupled to a speedometer in order that its speed may be set. The correct speed for the drum to rotate at was 280 r.p.m. The camera is held on a wooden block in such a manner that the light from the rotating drum falls on the blinds of the focalplane shutter. The shutter is then fired and a series of stroboscopic lines are seen in the aperture. If the shutter is correctly set these lines appear vertically but if the shutter is incorrectly set the lines will curl down either to the left or to the right according to whether the shutter is set too slow or too fast."

Thanks for your posts Trevor, that pic has a beautiful pre-war art deco feel (who knows when it was actually taken, though). And I love that technical stuff. Makes me regret getting rid of my screw mount bodies. ::sigh:: Every time I see something like that I want to buy another Leica.

Must. Resist. Urge.

Oooh - this brings up memories. I used to live in Giessen (about ten minutes away from Wetzlar) and used to play in a rockband that had its rehearsal-room in the old Leitz-Building. However - this was before my Photog-Days - otherwise, I'd searched every corner for some thrown-away lenses...

Regards

Peter