Which one and why: G-1228LVL or G-1325 w/G-1321?

beeman458

I've read and read and read again to no avail. Which one and why.

The price for each is about the same at B&H. There's about a ten

pound difference in load carrying capability but I'll be using the

legs with a 10D and the biggest lense will be a Sigma 100-300/4.0

with TC attached. So weights not a problem in this case.

The G-1325 w/G-1321 leveling column will weigh about two pounds more

but that's less the what the Bogen/Manfrotto 3221WN with 555B

leveling column weights.

I like both units. The G-1228LVL I like for it's light weight and it

comes with a leveling column. I like the G-1325 for it's height,

load carrying capability and stiffness of design and with a G-1321,

I'll have a leveling column for about the same price.

Need help from someone who's been through the drill and can share

their experience.

Thanks!

Hello Thomas,<p>

I ended up with both in a way: I have a 1228 and a 1348 (and do the

leveling with my ballheads and a ReallyRightStuff PCL-Clamp on top

of them for now if needed).<p>

I need the strength and height of the 1348 for my 4/500 (strength,

with Linhof III and lately Nill-head) and for birdwatching with a

telescope (height, with Gitzo 1370 3-way-head). I bought the 1228

(with a smaller Linhof II ballhead) for hiking after some time. What

you need - I don't know. For anything above 300mm or even a 2.8/300

I'd go for the 13xx, even with IS and a small body. A 4/300 would be

the limit on the 1228 I guess, although with a "motorized Pro" body

like the Canon EOS 1v HS (or an Nikon F5 or something digital sized

like that) it doesn't feel that much stable because of the big

weight high on top. Because I have stabilized (Canon IS) lenses, I'm

*not very* much concerned about stiffness - your mileage may vary.

For any shorter lens or a smaller body the 12xx is certainly o.k. On

the other hand the 13xx is much more comfortable to handle for me,

so when I go for birdwatching I also take it for a 10-km-hike. All

depends on your needs and habits...<p>

Greetings, Rolf

I have the 1325 and 1321. The 1321 is needed only for easy panoramas. Bubble levels and leg adjustments take care of the rest. The 1325 is truly excellent and gives me the stability and height I need. I am not tall, but I have often shot on hills, by roadside ditches, and by creeks and rivers where I need 1 or 2 long tripod legs. The 1325 gives me that length. Many people think of level ground only when they look at the height needed in a tripod. If only that were true.

If you are doing a lot of long distance hiking or hiking in extreme terrain, go for short and light, at least according to hikers I have known or read of. A 3 foot tripod on a 2 foot rock gets you to 5 feet. I can carry the 1325 the mile to 2 miles or so I need in the easy terrain I go to. If I need lighter, I have the Gitzo 026(now 1026), which is superlight.

Bill

Bill wrote:

"I have the 1325 and 1321. The 1321 is needed only for easy panoramas."

Thanks for making that point. I have a tendency to put something on a tripod and forget about the point that it can be removed or added with little effort at will.

"Bubble levels and leg adjustments take care of the rest."

Got the tripod base level and double bubble hotshoe mount level at the ready:)

"...but I have often shot on hills, by roadside ditches, and by creeks and rivers where I need 1 or 2 long tripod legs."

Good point. It's amazing how short a tripod can get, real fast, when on a hillside:)

"Many people think of level ground only when they look at the height needed in a tripod. If only that were true."

Amen! Checking out the G-2220 as a hiking/macro tripod. The half pound weight difference between the G-2220 and the G-2227 hardly merits the price difference unless there are vibration issues. The Bogen/Manfrotto 3221WN legs vibrate like a guitar string when touched. This is not a good thing.

"If you are doing a lot of long distance hiking or hiking in extreme terrain, go for short and light, at least according to hikers I have known or read of. A 3 foot tripod on a 2 foot rock gets you to 5 feet. I can carry the 1325 the mile to 2 miles or so I need in the easy terrain I go to. If I need lighter, I have the Gitzo 026(now 1026), which is superlight."

For me, there's no hiking, just a few evening, couple mile walks each week.

Most of the photographic effort takes place around the truck or downtown (street/night) sort of stuff. I love the Bogen/Manfrotto 3221WN w/555B leveling column, for it's size and light weight; that's what attracts me to the G1227LVL. But if the legs and collar are like the 3221WN, then I'll need the stiffer leg set of the G1325. I like the idea you suggested as to the removing and adding of the G1321. D'oh! :)

For a short tripod, like what you suggested, I'm looking at the G0027 but it's designed for only 5.5lbs and may be too light as to capacity.

I'm not sure that I can help you to make up your mind. However, I will point out that if you order your tripod from Kirk, or the naturescapes.net store, the shipping is free. This makes it a bit cheaper than ordering from B&H or Adorama. Naturescapes.net also sells replacement parts for your tripod. After a day of wading in pools and rivers, you can dismantle your tripod and let the bushings dry out. You can still work with the tripod with your spare set of bushings.<p>I personally went with the 1325 and a good ballhead (Markins ML20). I considered the levelling head, but so far I'm doing well just by adjusting the leg heights. I like to be able to get right to the ground for macro, and the levelling head's handle prevents this.<p>I did consider the 1227, but I thought that someday I may want a lens longer than my current 300 f/4. I wanted to have capacity to spare. The LVL tripods also seemed too expensive for what they are offering.

"I'm not sure that I can help you to make up your mind."

True, but I'm always open to suggestions:)

"However, I will point out that if you order your tripod from Kirk, or the naturescapes.net store, the shipping is free. This makes it a bit cheaper than ordering from B&H or Adorama. Naturescapes.net also sells replacement parts for your tripod."

Good points, I'll check them out.

"After a day of wading in pools and rivers, you can dismantle your tripod and let the bushings dry out. You can still work with the tripod with your spare set of bushings."

A suggestion that needs to be considered. One does get into the habit of not expecting inconveniences and maybe one needs to go a step further as your suggestion indicates. A second maybe third set of bushings will be ordered.

"I personally went with the 1325 and a good ballhead (Markins ML20)."

Just received the M20-L a couple weeks ago and the gripping action on the ball tensioning knob is "sweeeet!" :) Set the focus square, tighen the knob, zero movement. "Sweeeeeeet!"

"I considered the levelling head, but so far I'm doing well just by adjusting the leg heights. I like to be able to get right to the ground for macro, and the levelling head's handle prevents this."

Allow me to share a suggestion. This from another poster; the top plate is an easy to carry and swap item. Just swap the leveling head out for the top plate and "voila!" no handle:) I love the simplity of that response:) One only needs a leveling column if they're gonna be doing panos so for the most part, one can have the top plate in place and one only needs to put the leveling column in if they're gonna be doing panos. In the meantime there's always the hotshoe double bubble level.

"I did consider the 1227, but I thought that someday I may want a lens longer than my current 300 f/4. I wanted to have capacity to spare. The LVL tripods also seemed too expensive for what they are offering."

I sorta came to the conclusion that one needs to have four or more tripods as there are no one tripod solutions, as much as we might want this one tripod solution.

I'm looking at the G-2220 for macro work; the cantileavered arm is a huge plus. Thinking about a G-1227LVL to replace the Bogen/Manfrotto 3221WN w/555B leveling column for light duty daily stuff which I already have. I'll go with your suggestion of a G-1325 and will add a G-1321 leveling column for when I'm wanting to do panos. And where stiffness of operation is a must for pixel sharp extended shutter speed images and should I loose my mind and purchase a 600/4.0L IS, then the G-1548 is a must have. For studio work, I already have two Bogen/Manfrotto tripods (3251 & 3258). The 3258 is a monster that'll never see field use:)

Sadly, the results of my research came to a conclusion that I didn't want to reach:( One needs a closet full of tripods like a carpenter needs a box full of hammers. Darn! :)

Thanks for your thoughts on suppliers and the extra bushings. I'll take these comments to heart.

Thomas,<p>One thing to consider. While the top plate of the G1325 is easily swapped, the ballhead is another issue. I hate to have the ballhead unscrew itself with use (especially with panning), so I've got it on VERY TIGHT. I would have to carry a strap wrench into the field if I got the levelling head, and I wanted to change platforms for the ballhead.<p>Congratulations on getting the Markins. It's a tremendous piece of gear!<p>I do agree with your last conclusion: you can always use more than one tripod. I thought I would stop using my old aluminum tripod once I got the Gitzo. Not so - it's more compact than the 1325. Even though it's not any lighter, I still carry it around more frequently than the 1325.

"While the top plate of the G1325 is easily swapped, the ballhead is another issue."

I kinda went there and stopped. The idea of having to buy three or four ballheads didn't appeal to me:)

Let's see. Could I have a couple of those Arca-Swiss B-1's. And I'd like a RRS BH-55 and could you throw in a wine-red M20-L. Oh! And I'd like one of those little bitty 25mm mini-ballheads over in the corner? :) Thanks! :)

Thomas,<p>Here's my last input on this issue. I understand where you're at because I was in that same place about 6 months ago. I couldn't decide about the levelling head or not. I was also intrigued by the Explorer and its cantilevered arm. I asked for advice here on photo.net, and several people who own the Explorer said that it's more time consuming to set up because the legs dont'have fixed stops. Also, the leg braces make loud noises, which is a definite NO if you're interested in wildlife at all.<p>I decided to go with the KIS plan: Keep it Simple!. I bought the plain 1325 and the Markins ballhead. I felt that if I really need to get a levelling head, I can do so later. 6 months later, the urge to get one still hasn't hit me.

"I decided to go with the KIS plan: Keep it Simple!. I bought the plain 1325 and the Markins ballhead. I felt that if I really need to get a levelling head, I can do so later. 6 months later, the urge to get one still hasn't hit me."

Buying a truck is easier than buying a set of legs and top.

I'll look around for more usage date on the G2220 and I'll keep your thoughts in mind as to the G1321.

Thanks for sharing insight of your experience.

• 4 months later...