Schneider Super Angulon 5,6 47 mm - Schneider Super Angulon 8 90 mm

(DB / MC) - Schneider Symmar-S 5,6 150 mm (DB / MC) - Rodenstock

APO-Ronar 9 / 240 mm - Rodenstock �Imagon� 5,8 / 250 mm

what are the strong ones, the weakers ones? are there weaker lenses

among this pack? what are the newer and wich ones the older ones, and

does it matter? i guess the MC means multicoated, what does the DB

stand for? etc.

any help from this group of experienced users is more then welcome

Yes,the MC stands for multicoated. The DB means that the lens is in a DB mount for use

with a Sinar shutter (e.g. it is NOT mounted in a shutter of its own). As for stronger or

weaker ones they are all goo dlenses. Those that are not marked MC or multicoated likely

are not and they will be the older lenses of the batch, doesn't necessarilyu matter although

you may get a bit less contrast or a bit more flare but nothing to worry about unless you

are doing critical color work. A few additional thoughts: 1) AFAIK the 47mm SA doesn't

cover 4x5 2) the Imagon is a very specialized lens, it is a soft/variable lens designed to be

use for portraits and unless it is complete with the three disks that should come with it

you will find it virtually useless.

Biggest question ... an odd assortment .. what are you doing with these lenses?

Some comments based upon experience.

Any Sinar DB mount lens is a pain except for studio work. I would never get another. You can remove the lenses from the DB setup and have them remounted in a conventional shutter, but that can add up to ... well, Grimes quoted me around $700 to remount the cells from a 121mm S/A DB to shutter (includes shutter.) That's unacceptable when you can buy the same lens, in shutter for the same.

If we are just speaking of the optics (presumably mounted in a good conventional shutter), then the 47mm F5.6 S/A that I have (early 5.6) is good for up to 56mm x 90mm. After that, the light fall-off is typical of the S/A - dramatic and of course does not cover 4x5.

90mm S/A is a good lens, very common and should be inexpensive.

The Imagon is a specialty lens intended to give dramatic, and variable soft-focus effects. It is supposed to come in a kit with a few different sieves and an ND filter. To exploit the soft-focus you have to shoot wide-open (or close to it); that's why the kit includes an ND filter, but for outdoor work you will likely need a denser one or slow film. The shutter doesn't have an adequately high speed.

Repeat - if the lenses are in DB shutters, I would walk away - unless you have Sinar hardware and work in a studio.

Doesn't DB stand for dumb-B? Avoid them if you ever what to shoot a landscape. I think Grimes prices are considerably higher than they used to be so I also avoid any lens that my need even the smallest amount of work. The 47mm is older and alot softer than the modern version (in my opinion), the 90mm is probably ok but could an older version, apo ronar is a process lens, imagon a soft focus lens. I use a 90mm f8 sa for landscapes and its fine but for architecture the lens is unacceptable. I get serious distortion of straight vertical lines with it.

to answer the question: this set is being offered for sale to me for a very reasonable price but since I'm planning to do mostly landscape, urban landscape and architecture I might not be so well off with this as I originally thought, the soft focus lens is of no use to me and the DB's will need shutters

thx a million for all of your expert advice