First time doing engagement Pics

ibcrewin

I offered to take my friend's engagement picture because I just got

my 70-200mm f/4 for my Bday. They want to take pictures at the beach

they met at wearing white shirts near sunset.

My question to you, oh wise sages of wedding photography, is if

sunset it at about 7:50pm, what time should I start taking pics.. I

want to get a shots at a wide range of color temps. I am going to

shoot RAW and do some tweaking later.

Also, how I am going to have to compensate with respect with two

people with white shirts at a sandy beach and darker water.. I want

the pictures to look like kevin costner and that chick in Message in

a bottle.

thanks. Ivan

I would not suggest them to wear white. White is actually a very difficult color for people to wear except dark skinned people. Go out about an hour before sunset unless you want to be there for a while. The first 30 minutes do all the normal stuff in the sun. Don't forget to get a few with the yellow sun on their skin it will look great and glamorous. Then sunset pictures are a little more powerful so expose for the sky. Do some silouttes and so forth. If you know a lot about ps then you can fix the people later if need be. Most of all let the people have fun.

Little tidbit I learned a while ago. If you are nervous get there early and do some shots of the grounds. They may be throw aways but they help to get the creative juices flowing. So you are already warmed up before they even get there. Don't forget some people are notorious for being late so if this is the case maybe go 1 and a half hours before sunset. Good luck and have fun.

I second what Robert said. I do a lot of beach portraits, and white is a great, "beachy" look for all skin shades. You might want to considering visiting the location the day before the shoot, at the same time, to do some practice shots (with a volunteer subject).

Robert is right on, get there early. Try to keep your ISO at 400 or less. Here in Los Angeles there are messed up rules and you need PERMITS to use the beaches. Are these rules the same there? Hate to see you get a ticket. I've been busted a few times but always able to talk my way out of the tickets, by saying I'm not a pro. The trick is to carry only one lens and one flash. When the cops see you with 5 camera bags, 15 different lenses, 6 tripods, 5 assistants, you are stuck with a grand ol ticket! You may want to check and see what the rules are in your area.

Lots of good advice. Agree with one hour before sunset, but don't forget that some of the best sky colors come after the sunset--up to 20 minutes or more after the sun actually disappears. The hour before is for the golden tones everyone mentions. Agree that white is fine. You just compensate your flash and ambient (plus compensation) accordingly. Best to use manual camera mode with sunset exposures for the sky, for best control of the sky colors.