Nikkor AF Lenses

steve_tenggala

Hi all, I've been using DSLR for a while and plan to get some fully

mechanical Manual Focus camera body (I'm thinking of FM2n right

now). I'd like to use it as a backup, in case of battery emergency,

and also for BW and slide shooting. The question is, would I still

be able to use my AF prime and zoom lenses on this MF body? And if

so, would it meter? Thanks.

First of all, it is not a good idea to use a film body to backup your DSLR. In particular, it is worse with MF bodies. The simple reason is that in order to use those backup bodies, you need to buy film. And if you don't use your backup, those film will expire and be wasted.

Now to answer your question. Depending on which DSLR you have, the best type of lenses that will work with both DSLRs and MF film bodies are AF/AF-D lenses that are not G; i.e., they must have an aperture ring to work with MF film bodies. Since all DX lenses are also G lenses, you will end up having all sorts of focal length compromises and cannot use some of the latest VR technology. Most of the newer film bodies such as the F100, N80, etc. can take G lenses and work with VR. If you must mix digital and film, you are better off with the newer film bodies.

In these days there are some very inexpensive DSLRs such as the D50 and D70s that are good candidates as backups.

Steve, provided your lenses have an aperture ring you can use them and they will meter on an FM2n. The autofocus 'G' lenses do not have aperture rings; the ap is adjusted via the camera body of the more modern AF bodies. (Incidentally, you can mount and get metering from a 'G' lens on the FM2n but you will always be metering / shooting at the minimum aperture e.g. f22.)

As an aside, have a close look at an FM3A. It's a bit of a hybrid, combining the best of both worlds, offering mechanical and electronic shutter release. The shutter fires at all speeds w/ or w/out battery power a la the FM family and you get Aperture Priority w/ a battery. I didn't expect to be using it as much as I do...wonderful camera.

Hi Steve,

A manual focusing Nikon gear like FM2, FM2n or FM3A is compatible with AI-S, AF-D, AF-I, AF-S, AI-P Nikkor lenses that will provide full metering operation. As usually, you will have to focus manually and there is no spot metering mesure on these gears.

Avoid "G" and "Di" AF Nikkor series lenses. A film loaded inside these gears will last longtime without any problem, just be aware not to accidentally open the back camera (always check the safe indicator pin). On a FM3A camera you will almost forget the battery problem, the camera is rather compact and ideal for voyages and it has a performant TTL flash including auto or manual burst correction. All will be in your viewfinder ...

Best regards

J.A.

<I>As you might already know, the biggest reason why DX lenses cannot be used on the film bodies are that these lenses wouldn't cover the full frame of the 35mm film format.</I>

<P>

While I wouldn't use DX lenses on a film body on a regular bases, as long as we are talking about backup, emergency situations, DX lenses can be used on film bodies. Even though you may only have an image in the center of the film frame, it is still far better than no image at all.

<P>

In particular, some DX lenses such as the 12-24 and 17-55 can cover the entire 35mm film frame in the long end of their respective zoom ranges.

<P>

However, as some of us have already pointed out, all DX lenses are also G lenses without an aperture ring. On MF bodies, you'll have no way to control their aperture, which is stuck at its minimum. There are ways to jam the aperture open via the lever, but that kind of practice is really out of the mainstream.

Hi, dear friend. The Nikkor AF D are all fully compatibles with bayonet mount and meter of the Nikkormat FT3, Nikon FM, FM2N and FM3a.

Only the Nikkon AF G and AF DX are incompatible whit all MF SLR Nikon: the first because lacking of the f/ stop ring, the second because are dedicated exclusively for the APS-C digital sensor of the Nikon DSLR.

If you mount a Nikkor AF DX on the baoynet mount of the Nikon FM2N, you obtain surely a very strong and big vignetting in the corners.

I own a Nikon FM2N: it's a great camera|

Ciao

Vincenzo Maielli

Steve,<br>

<br>

For personal use as a backup to a Nikon DSLR the Nikon FM2n is

fine. It easily shares AF Nikkors provided that the AF lens has

reasonable manual focus feel. As mentioned above G and DX Nikkors

lack an aperture control ring so they are for practical purposes

unusable. Although I have a strong preference for fast, manual

focus, prime lenses on the FM2n lenses like the 35~70/2.8D AF

Nikkor work fine. I own two FM2n(s) and assure you that they fit

in the bag with a Nikon DSLR without problems.<br>

<br>

There are sill some subjects that are best shoot on film so a

Nikon F100, F5 or F6 can be a fine compliment to a Nikon DSLR. As

always if you use a particular film slowly or buy in bulk freeze

most of it and transfer some to the refrigerator or shelf for

weekly or daily use. Slow and medium speed films, up to ISO 400

anyway, are much less sensitive to heat in the short term than

most people think. Temperatures of 40*C (104*F) for periods of a

week or so have little or no discernable effect.<br>

<br>

The Nikon FM2n is a great camera, a classic and still as useable

as the day it was first released. I recommend that you put

together a basic three or four manual focus lens system. For

example a 55/2.8 Micro, 105/2.5 and 28/2.0 or 24/2.8 and for

evening use a 50/1.8 or 1/4 instead of the 55/2.8. The 28/2.0 is

better for people, the 24/2.8 for places. If you plan to use

flash often the FM3a or FE2 might make a better choice.<br>

<br>

If the Nikon FM2n is the camera you want my recommendation as an

owner it go for it!<br>

<br>

Best,<br>

<br>

Dave Hartman.

I have to completely disagree with Shun Cheung. I think a manual focus film body is a very good backup camera. The FM2n is an excellent camera that is well built and if purchased in good condition should last for years. Why do you think buying film is a bad thing, Shun Cheung?

I have a Nikon F3HP, as I wear glasses, and I love it. Film is not dead, folks. It's just not as gee-whiz-bang fun and conveinant as film. It is more archival than digital, in my opinion. And that is important to me.

Dave

<I>Why do you think buying film is a bad thing</I>

<P>

I already explained that in the very first paragraph in my answer. At least based on what I read, Steve was going to use a film body as a *backup* for digital for emergency situations. That is different from shooting both digital and film on a regular basis.

<P>

Typically, we don't use a backup camera unless your main camera fails. That means you are spending money on film that will sit there waiting for expiration. That is simply throwing money away.

I have been using Nikon cameras for 29 years and none of the 9 bodies I have used has ever failed while being used.

<P>

Another issue is that 35mm film and DX type sensors are different formats, even though they happen to use the same lens mount. When you use one format to backup another, you run into all sorts of focal length compromises that have already been thoroughly discussed in this thread.

In fairness to those discussing the film / digital backup matter, the specific context in which Steve refers to 'backup' is not known. As a wedding, event or sports shooter who is putting bread on the table (not to mention satisfying clients!), using a film body, esp. an FM-family body w/out some of the more advanced features of an F100 / F5 to backup a DSLR is one thing...whereas having a second body on-hand for fulfilling the dual purpose of 1) backup for more *casual* shooting, esp <in case of battery emergency> as Steve puts it, and 2) shooting film is quite another. My guess is that Steve's needs are more of the latter.

guys,

thanks for the response. I'm sorry for not being clear. I'm looking for manual focus body to learn shooting BW and slides (looking to learn to develop and print myself later). I figured that with a fully mechanical body like FM2n, it should be a nice backup for my dslr in case when I get into a situation with no battery (or a place with no power outlet to recharge the battery).

Basically, I get my question answered. I just need to know before I buy it if my current lens (they are all AF primes) would work on it. But then it raises a question, is FM2n really the camera I should be looking for or there is other manual focus body I need to pay attention too. FM3a seems nice but it's still too overpriced while I think FM2n offers almost all the features with no significant compromise.

One more thing, is/are there any manual focus lens I might be interested in? I typically do street and event photography, and some portraits, while my current lens arsenal so far are 24mm f/2.8D AF, 35mm f/2 AF, 50mm f/1.8 AF, and 85mm f/1.8 AF (if you look closely, they have 1.5 factor among them, except the 85mm). Thanks.

I had an inkling that your need for a backup had a broader connotation than 'backup' in the strictest sense, hence a film body.

<...is FM2n really the camera I should be looking for or there is other manual focus body I need to pay attention too?> There isn't. Absent the FM3A, the FM2n is an excellent choice. I agree w/ the FM3A being a stronger candidate for flash work due to its metering display and Through-The-Lens Off-The-Film (TTL-OTF) metering. The -1 Flash Comp button is also helpful. For a very thorough look at each of the two bodies, the incomparable MIR website offers all you'd like to know and more...

FM2n: http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonfmseries/fm2/index.htm

FM3A: http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonfmseries/fm3a/

<...are there any manual focus lens I might be interested in?> I like your current lens line-up; fitting for a variety of needs. To answer your specific question, esp as it relates to portraits and event shooting w/out having to physically get close, a 105/2.5 AI or AIS (only available as manual focus) would be an excellent and relatively inexpensive addition. There are those that like the 180/2.8 for portraits as well (be it the manual focus ED AIS or AF version). To the best of my knowledge, and popular consensus says, the 180/2.8 AI version doesn't contain ED glass. There are some (few) that say the AI is on par w/ the ED AIS version and there are those that don't, yet few have anything disparaging to say about the ED AIS version unless theirs has hit the floor.

Both the 105 and 180 I've mentioned are widely considered to be absolute first-rate performers. In the interest of being thorough I should also mention the 135mm focal length, though I'm not a fan of it. (Incidentally, the approximate 20 degree field-of-view difference between a 24 and 35mm lens is nicely split by the 28/2.8 AIS, preferred to the AI version.)