the question: to "get closer"........or not?

Just enjoying the discussion.

Not what's usually done on this Forum, perhaps because it's to some extent "old hat" to more experienced photographers.

But I appreciate Tom raising the issue with his photo and find the other comments and photos instructive.

Hi! Both Winogrand shots are a lot less busy than your first posted shot. The horizontal bushes and verticle poles do not direct the viewer to the subject. Also in both Winogrands there is a clear path to the subject: your shot would have done this had you moved 2 feet to your left. Your picture is still a good shot; its not a great shot.

I'm sure Winogrand took thousands of pictures not as good as yours.

You know damn well that a great kissing shot is alot of luck. Usually

it doesn't last long enough for you to do anything but shoot. If time alows then you can play with it. " The Kiss' is always a trigger for me and i'm always looking for this subject. I think I have 3 good kissing shots and by chance they were shot tight and wide with a 35mm lens. I'm sure you have successful pics where you are not "close".

Later.

" I'm sure Winogrand took thousands of pictures not as good as yours."

John, I know you're right about that. Winogrand made hundreds of thousands of images; many are still unprocessed!

Thomas, how many exposures did you make of this scene? If you have more, post them. It would be interesting to see how the situation evolved and how each of us might have seen it differently.

Peter strikes me as a voyeur and possibly a romantic, getting closer and/or tighter cropping would emphasize/isolate a romantic moment. The engagement of the vet with Winogrand (at a time of public angst in the US) would also be more emphasized if he was closer and/or the crop was tighter. So to "get closer"...or not? It depends and you (photographer) should decide.

"...Thomas, how many exposures did you make of this scene..."

this be it........I was watching something else on 5th Ave near 60th street, took a look around and behind me like I usually do when waiting for something to happen, saw them.......click....then they were apart and walking....

again, thanks for the input........some of the thoughts are quite intrigueing.......heh, especially edmo's......

guess there is another reason I felt like asking this........I just bought John Szarkowski's "Looking at Photographs: 100 Pictures from the Collection of The Museum of Modern Art" and am reading it for the first time ever. Never read critiques like his before and found it fascinating. Some of the critiques above of my pic sound a lot like something he might have said. That alone made asking this question worthwhile.

TS, thanks....

on a seperate note, i just got a bunch of emails from folks saying i'm the only one making any sense here. kinda like the big guy over at the LF.

on another note, anybody ever try any of "two buck chucks" wine? highly recomended...highly....

"Two Buck Chuck's" = Charles Shaw (avail. at Trader Joes)

Absolutely!

Wine experts say it's actually a blend of some of these grapes and a few of those, but what do I know? I'm no expert.

My position: It tastes good and it's inexpensive.

Is it helping you take some of these photos, Ed? If so, I'm gonna have an extra glass next time.

<I>Is it helping you take some of these photos, Ed?</I>

<p>

don't know...taste good though. Just finishing up a bottle of merlot and thinkin' of doin' the cabernet next, at three bucks a bottle....wtf?

<p>

<I>that's something the big guy over there would say too :)</I>

<p>

ok, ok...it was only one email and I stole the line from the good capt....where TF I put my glass?

<p>

TS, anyway, think Ackerman has a point. There's a sense of detachment in your pic that's not in the Wino ( :D ) pics....(this might have been said before)

Two Buck Chuck is only available in states that allow it to be two bucks. Due to arcane liquor laws that date back to the end of Prohibition, in some states a grocery like Trader Joe's can't even sell wine. And in many states, due to the requirement to go through a local distributor, the wine won't be two bucks.

I don't know all the rules but i don't think you can buy it in any of the trdaer joes in NY. In Mass. the Trader Joes in Brookline carries it for three bucks and it's not even available at the store in Back Bay...

i did see "Sideways" this weekend so i am somewhat of a vino expert....