christopher perez

I have a Polaroid 545 film holder. I went out yesterday with a small

stack of 55P/N film and remembered some of the issues I've had with

this in the past. Yesterday I had the following two problems and am

soliciting feedback on what I could do differently:

1) After exposure, the film sleeve does not engage the metal end

strip. When I push the release and pull the film, many times I can't

feel the chemical packet and know that the metal endclip is still in

the film holder. I re-insert the paper jacket and try again.

Sometimes it takes a dozen tries to catch the metal end strip so that

I extract the film properly sleeved.

2) As a result of #1, the film holder sometimes lifts off the camera

slightly. This causes fogging. I think I can correct this by

wrapping my darkcloth around the back of the camera while attempting

to extract the sleeve.

These two "challenges" left me with a 50% success rate. This was

rather disappointing. Ideas? Comments?

I had many problems like this, with the sleeve not engaging firmly enough to extract the film when the release is pressed. <p>Now, after sliding the sleeve back down, I remove the holder from the camera. And then, while I hold down the release, push the packet up slightly to disengage the film from the clip in the holder. Then pull the packet out as normal.<p>Doing it this way, the slight pressure on the film inside the sleeve helps in disengaging it from the holder. Since doing this, I have had no failures due to film being exposed while extracting the packet.<p>Steve

I used to open my box of 55 p/n use what I would use and then put the opened box of remaining film back in the fridge, this would cause me nothing but malfuntions, to me it's the moisture/humidity issue and how that affects the packets.

Once opened, I never put my film back in the box, I keep it in a fairly dry area, and haven't had a problem since, my experience is that you get a box where all the packets are either good or mostly bad, I've taken a couple boxes back to the vendor and exchanged for fresh film.

You haven't mentioned where you've gotten this film, how old it is, and how it's been stored, but from what you've said in your post, if you're having trouble w/some of the film from a box, you're going to have trouble w/the rest of the film in the box, I wouldn't keep chancing it.

You may still have a metal tab stuck in the end from an old packet.

remove with a pointy tool.

graflock tabs in graflock backs have tightening screws which must be tightened regularly, spring bscks can loose their tension but mostly check the velour light traps to make sure they have not flattened and are light tight.

These are some very good responses. Thank you.

<p>

<i>...after sliding the sleeve back down, I remove the holder from the camera. And then, while I hold down the release, push the packet up slightly to disengage the film from the clip in the holder. Then pull the packet out as normal...</i>

<p>

Steven, when you say "push the packet up", which way is up? Toward the rollers? Away from the rollers? Or perpendicular to the rollers?

<p>

The film I used was not cold stored. It was purchased from a local camera store. And yes, I had trouble with three boxes from the same source. I believe they were from the same batch. The metal clips all failed to disengage in the very same manner.

<p>

About a potential worn back, how to verify this? What to look for? Mine is an all metal (pre-i) version.

<p>

Has anyone had similar problems using Kodak Readyloads or Fuji Quickloads when using their Polaroid 545?

Polaroid can be cold stored as long as you have not broken the foil seal, once you broken the seal don't put it back in the box is my point, Grimes has an article on his website about dis-assembling a polaroid back.

My back is on the money, so if I get 3 packets that don't want to snap in, I just take it back, I currently get my from Samy's and Freestyle and absolutely no problems.

If you are removing the packet for later processing, the procedure as described by Polaroid for their current holders is to:

1) Remove the holder from the camera

2) Leave the lever set to "L"

3) Press the release and while holding it in. use the thumb of you other hand to slide the envelope until the clip shows. Then pull the envelope from the holder.

In other words, pressing the release alone is not enough.

<i>If you are removing the packet for later processing, the procedure as described by Polaroid for their current holders is to: 1) Remove the holder from the camera 2) Leave the lever set to "L" 3) Press the release and while holding it in. use the thumb of you other hand to slide the envelope until the clip shows. Then pull the envelope from the holder.

<p>

In other words, pressing the release alone is not enough.</i>

<p>

Ah. This is explains things a bit further. Indeed, I am attempting to process the film later.

<p>

Any chance that in using this technique that the sleeve will begin to move, leaving the clip behind, thus exposing the film?

Mike..............I don't refridgerate an open box, I had nothing but problems when I use to do that, you can initially cold store it UNTIL you open the foil seal, after that I coun't on 6 months with film I store flat in fairly dry and cool place after it's been opened.

The expiration date on box of fresh Polaroid is about 6 months, cold storing nulls that expiration date and prolongs the life of the film, but after opening the foil seal and taking it out of the box, I start counting those 6 months.

Hi Christopher. By up I mean toward the rollers. I only push it up a half inch or so until the bottom clip shows, as mentioned by Jerry.

<p>Then as Jerry says, you can either pull the packet out with the lever in the 'load' position for later processing, or with the lever in the 'process' position to process right away.<p>

<I>Any chance that in using this technique that the sleeve will begin to move, leaving the clip behind, thus exposing the film?</I>

<p>You need to press down quite firmly as you push the film packet up, so the pressure of your thumb pushes the film up as well as the packet. Doing it this way I have never (yet :^) had a film and packet part company.

<p>Steve

Definitely buy a new back. I did so and it solved all my problems. I finally did so after my old "tank" grade back came apart. I really like the response that they come apart easier than they go back together!<g>

I also use the Polaroid back for my Fuji Acros quick load shooting and it helped eliminate removal problems there too.

• 8 months later...