New D50 or used D100 as a backup?

richard_laepple

D50. To me it's a better backup -- lighter, easier to carry, newer technology, nice images out of the box. Why worry about CF cards? The SD cards do their job and they get cheaper every minute. For all you know, the next iteration of the D70 will be using SD cards to get the form factor smaller. The D100 is yesterday's news, IMO.

Another D70 would be the perfect back up. But if the choice were just between the D50 and the D100, then the newer D50 is the easy choice. If media card compatibility is an issue, you can always buy an SD to CF adapter.

When you say "Backup", do you mean for work? Think carefully before buying two average

quality cameras that will be paperweights in two or three years.

I keep a Film camera (N90S) and a bag of film as a backup and have a D200. Having one

great camera is so nice.

In my opinion, DSLRS should only be bought when you have a LOT of use for them. If

your work pays very well, then it is a small price to pay to have a second D70 with extra

Batteries, CF cards, Cables and Flash sitting in a bag ready to go in an emergency.

I agree with John. Use the D70 until you can afford a D200, at which point the D70 will become the backup. Personally my D70 is a companion to my film cameras. I will get a D200 eventually because the D70 viewfinder sucks and I'd love to be able to meter with MF lenses.

But if you REALLY do need a backup DSLR right now, I'd get another D70. By the time you add in the cost of new memory cards for the D50, the difference in price is gone. I see no reason to get a D100, too old.

For a D70 main, the D100 is the better backup, simply due to being able to use the same media. The D50 is otherwise a better camera (especially at high ISO), but a backup needs to be able to swap most everything, including media, and the D50 uses SD cards.