R2400 Printer Problems/Epson Support?

I am now testing out Epson Support as my R2400 pretty much refuses to print

beyond the canned nozzle check test pattern.

I swapped Firewire cables, re-installed the printer driver and nothing. It

refuses to print. This occurred a day after a four hour session printing

portraits to various fine art papers.

I just received my first batch of the Crane Museo Silver Rag this week and

have yet to use it as the 2400 refuses to budge.

Anyone else have the R2400 instantly turn stubborn? It won't print from any

source: IE, notepad text files, Word, Excel, nothing! :(

So... here we go!

"Thank you for contacting the Epson Connection Web Support Team.

This is your confirmation that we received your e-mail submission, and will

respond to your e-mail shortly.

It is our goal to respond within one business day."

>>refuses to print beyond the canned nozzle check test pattern... This occurred a day after a four hour session printing portraits to various fine art papers.<<

What exactly does it do or not do? Does it just pull the paper through and not print at all? Or something else? If it is just pulling the paper through, were you using the type of art paper that leaves behind lots of flakes and dust? If so, you might want to search this forum for posts in regard to cleaning up the flakes, etc. They are a common cause of problems with this scanner.

<p> Doug<p>

<a href="http://www.betterscanning.com">New film holder designs for Epson, Agfa and Microtek</a>

Once you realize your problem, you may get to solution faster ?

Sounds like it is not the printer that does not print, but your computer.

Verify that your USB port, or Firewire port, has proper driver for the printer installed on the computer. Is the port you are using enabled? If you use USB, try FireWire, or vice versa, but both methods should print just fine, if the software was setup properly.

Get to Windows Control panel, and to device management, and try standard Windows troubleshooting first. Windows XP will guide you through the troubleshooting to some point. Try a different port, or try a different device of the port that you use.

I appreciate the answers above.

I've troubleshot this pretty well. I have used different Firewire cables on both ports of my Windows XP XP2 PC; the printer will not feed paper through either unless you do the Epson nozzle test, and then, just for that test. Also, like I said, I uninstalled the driver, then downloaded Epson's latest driver (from Dec. 2005) and re-installed it and still nothing.

It's pretty frustrating because I cannot point to anything that might have caused this. I'll await Epson's answer, the printer is only 4 mos. old and has been fine until last weekend. Weird!

(I hope Office 2007 Beta 2 didn't screw anything up as I installed this five weeks ago and all was well then and up until last weekend)

Ken: FWIW I have found that the Epson regular customer support (service?) phones are manned by remote folks who just read from a canned script. I've never gotten any meaningful help from them as I always knew more than they did. But if you call Epson in Long Beach CA and get through to that support group you can get some intelligent folks who actually print photos on Epson printers. One group is called customer service and the other customer support but I forget which is which. I just know you have to call the smart ones in Long Beach during normal business hours left coast time.

If the printer baulk and quits printing again I'll phone them down there. Sounds good.

Right now just printed two stunning (my first attempts) pritns on the Crane Museo Silver Rag (one with the Crane ICC profile and one without). All seems well now. Thanks again. Whew!

Ken, if you ever really need to get Epson's attention, you could just call and say: "Hey, I'll be in LA on business tomorrow and will have my printer with me. How about I just stop by your office down there in Long Beach and we can sort this out together". You know nothing strikes fear in a support group more than the thought of a customer actually showing up in person. I'm sure you'd move to the very top of the priority queue.

I had a similar problem with my R800 when it refused to print from my Windows XP PC. In this case the PC was running, I switched on the printer and nothing would print. After rebooting the PC, then restarting the printer it all burst into life.

Well the same problem began happening this morning. It's as if the PC loses communication with the pritner adn there is no easy obvious way to restore the communication. (PC and the printer were ON all night after successful print jobs the night before, the morning jobs were No Go... darn!) Cold rebooting fixed nothing. Argh. (circuit board overheating in the 2400?)