professional point of view

caseychappell

Hi,

my name is Casey Chappell and I have had photography as a hobby/side job for years now and just

recently have been covering more weddings and events and doing children photography. I'm a hairdresser

and find that both jobs complement each other in the wedding field.

I have poured over photo.net forums for over a year now and feel as if I know some of you. I am having a

website built but I am using my photo.net gallery as my portfolio for now. Most who see it like what they

see. However, I don't know if it's because I work on it a lot or what but I feel as though it's lacking.

As professionals where do you see improvement needed in my photography? What mistakes am I making

continually? What do I need to branch out and shoot more of? Do I have a photojournalistic edge or is it

pretty traditional? Should I develop smaller folders in my portfolio more specific?

These may seem like weird questions but I just hear from my clients. I would like a different sets of trained

eyes telling me what they think.

I use Canon 20D with a 28-70 2.8 L and a 50mm 1.8. if anyone wants to know.

thanks so much for putting time and your thoughts onto this forum. I don't think some of you know what

an impact you are having on photographers everywhere. You definitely have had one on me!

~Casey, Wake Forest N.C.

I think your photos are brilliant.

Random question, are flip-flops the thing in weddings lately? I was recently a bridesmaid and the female side of the wedding party all wore flip flops...

Just curious...

I love the variety of poses in your bridal portraits! They're not all the same - it's great!

And yes, the flip flops ARE a trend that I've noticed. At my brother's wedding in Vegas last year, EVERY person in the bridal party (even the groom and groomsmen in their suits) wore flip flops. They intended to give flip flops to EVERY guest to wear too, but it didn't exactly work out - not everyone got theirs in time.

Jen

Hi Casey-

First I love a LOT of your photos! just awesome. One thing I would like to offer as

constructive criticism is to simply watch the hot spots on some of your wedding photos. I

noticed in the first set of photos the bride's dress is pretty blown out in some of the close

up photos and a few others. Another comment- don't be afraid to back up a little bit. I

notice a lot of your shots seem to carry the same up-close feel: this is great as some

photogs actually have a big problem with getting close and into the action, but just

remember not to go too wide and that you can always crop in later ( although it is a nice

feeling to not have to do much post-wedding cropping, etc.) It's easier to crop out

backgrounds, etc than it is to try and create more space afterwards. I mostly say this

particular comment because I think some of your 'formal' groups are a little close cut-

guys feet near the very edge of the frame, etc.

Overall your work looks great though-exposure and composition are there and will even

improve more over time- and I'm sure your clients are very happy with the photos. You

can really tell you connect with your subjects which is something that can't be taught. I

especially love the little girls eating ice cream. The looks on their faces are priceless. As

far as senior portraits, study different types of posing. What you have looks good but I'm

sure some different angles, poses, etc would probably make you happier with the total end

result. However, if you're still feeling that something is missing from your work then

study it yourself and say- 'what's missing' 'what do I want to change'. And go from there.

I would say your work is not exactly photojournalistic or traditional, but more

documentary. (which personally I really enjoy. ;) ) Best of luck to you!